Charles Manners, 10th Duke of Rutland
The Duke of Rutland
CBE JP DL
Charles Manners, by Allan Warren
|Born||Charles John Robert Manners
28 May 1919
|Died||4 January 1999(aged 79)|
|Parents||John Manners, 9th Duke of Rutland, Kathleen Tennant|
He was the son of John Manners, 9th Duke of Rutland by his wife Kathleen (née Tennant), granddaughter of Sir Charles Tennant, 1st Baronet. Rutland was educated at Eton and Trinity College, Cambridge.
He inherited the title in 1940, remaining in that estate until his death in 1999.
A lifelong Conservative, the Duke served on Leicestershire County Council as the County Councillor for the Vale of Belvoir Division from 1945 until 1985. He was Chairman of Leicestershire County Council from 1974 until 1977.
Marriages and children
Rutland married Anne Bairstow Cunning Bell on 27 April 1946. They had one child together:
- Lady Charlotte Louise Manners (born 7 January 1947)
Following a divorce in 1956, Rutland was married on 15 May 1958 to Frances Helen Sweeny, daughter of the American amateur golfer Charles Sweeny, and his first wife, the former Margaret Whigham. They had four children:
- David Charles Robert Manners, 11th Duke of Rutland (born 8 May 1959)
- Lord Robert George Manners (born 18 June 1961, died 28 February 1964)
- Lady (Helen) Theresa (Margaret) Manners (born 11 November 1962). The former lead singer of the short-lived 1980s British rock band The Business Connection, which was founded by the Marquess of Worcester. She is married to Dr John Chipman, director of the International Institute for Strategic Studies.
- Lord Edward (John Francis) Manners (born 29 May 1965)
- Webster, Richard (5 January 1999). "Manners maketh man". The Guardian. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "no. 42552". The London Gazette. 29 December 1961. p. 12.
- Lundy, Daryl. "Charles John Robert Manners, 10th Duke of Rutland". The Peerage.com. Retrieved 10 August 2016.
|Peerage of England|
|Duke of Rutland
|This biography of a duke or duchess in the peerage of England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|