Charles Martin (poet)
Charles Martin (born 1942, New York City) is a poet, critic and translator. He grew up in the Bronx. He graduated from Fordham University and received his Ph.D. from the University at Buffalo, The State University of New York. He now teaches at the City University of New York, Syracuse University, and the Stonecoast MFA Program at the University of Southern Maine. Martin's specialty is Latin poetry. Martin is also a New Formalist, and was an original faculty member of the West Chester University Conference on Form and Narrative in Poetry.
Honors and awards
He received the Poetry Foundation's Beth Hokin Prize in 1970. His poem, "Against a Certain Kind of Ardency," was in the 2001 Pushcart Prize collection, and in 2005 he won the American Academy of Arts and Letters' Award for Literature. Martin's Ovid translation won the 2004 Harold Landon Translation Award from the Academy of American Poets.
Full-length poetry collections
- Starting from Sleep: New & Selected Poems. Overlook Press/Sewanee Writers Series. 2002. ISBN 978-1-58567-272-1.
- What the Darkness Proposes. Johns Hopkins University Press. 1996. ISBN 978-0-8018-5487-3.
- Steal the Bacon. Johns Hopkins University Press. 1987. ISBN 978-0-8018-3493-6.
- Passages from Friday: Poems. Abattoir Editions, University of Nebraska at Omaha. 1983. ISBN 978-0-317-40788-4.
- Catullus: A Critical Study (Yale University Press 1992)
- Ovid (2004). Ovid's Metamorphoses. W.W. Norton. ISBN 978-0-393-32642-0.
- Catullus (1990). The Poems of Catullus. Johns Hopkins University Press. ISBN 978-0-8018-3926-9.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-05-28. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- Charles Martin's website
- Queensborough Community College > Martin's Faculty Page Retrieved December 28, 2006.
- Sturgeon, Shawn (2003). "Starting Point" (description of Starting from Sleep: New and Selected Poems), website of Sewanee Writers Conference. Retrieved December 28, 2006.
- Biography and links to poems, website of the Academy of American Poets. Retrieved December 28, 2006.
- Charles Martin's photographic work on En Foco, was featured in Nueva Luz photographic journal, volume 9#1.