Charles Montgomery (Royal Navy officer)
Sir Charles Montgomery
|Director General of Border Force|
25 January 2013 – 25 June 2017
|Prime Minister||David Cameron|
|Preceded by||Tony Smith|
|Succeeded by||Paul Lincoln|
|Born||12 April 1955|
Rotherham, South Yorkshire, England
|Years of service||1973–2013|
|Commands||Second Sea Lord|
|Awards||Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire|
Vice Admiral Sir Charles Percival Ross Montgomery (born 12 April 1955) is a retired Royal Navy officer who served as Second Sea Lord from 2010 to 2012. He then served as Director General of the Border Force from 2013 to 2017.
Montgomery was born in 1955. He was educated at Uppingham School and the Royal Naval College, Dartmouth. He attended Sheffield University, graduating in 1976 with a degree in Electronic and Electrical Engineering.
Montgomery joined the Royal Navy in 1973. After spending his first three years of service at university, he went to sea and rose through the officer ranks to become Commander of HMS Beaver. Later he became Training Director of the Naval Recruiting and Training Agency and then Private Secretary to the Secretary of State for Defence.
On 25 January 2013 the Home Office announced that Montgomery had been appointed Director General of the Border Force. Montgomery joined Border Force as Director General in March 2013. He wore the Border Force uniform with the rank insignia of Director General.
In 1982, Montgomery married Adrienne Julie. Together they have four children: three sons and one daughter.
Honours and decorations
|Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE)||2012|
|Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)||2006|
|Queen Elizabeth II Golden Jubilee Medal||2002|
|Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal||2012|
|Naval Long Service and Good Conduct Medal||2017|
Montgomery was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2006 Birthday Honours and Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) in the 2012 Birthday Honours.
- "Director General, Border Force: Sir Charles Montgomery". HM Government. Retrieved 5 May 2014.
- "Royal Navy Biography". Archived from the original on 15 August 2010.
- Select Committee on Defence Fourteenth Report House of Commons, 30 July 2008.
- Ups and outs July 2012 Defence Viewpoints
- "Sir Charles Montgomery". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Stamp, Gavin (12 March 2014). "BBC News – Checks 'still priority' after e-Borders 'terminated'". BBC News. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "New Director General of Border Force announced". Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Montgomery, Vice Adm. Sir Charles (Percival Ross), (born 12 April 1955), Director General, UK Border Force, Home Office, 2013–17". Who's Who 2020. Oxford University Press. 1 December 2019. doi:10.1093/ww/9780199540884.013.U245533. Retrieved 29 September 2020.
- "No. 60173". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2012. p. 4.
- "No. 58014". The London Gazette (Supplement). 17 June 2006. p. 4.
- Academics and graduates given honorary degrees and benefactor recognised University of Sheffield, 13 January 2012
| Naval Secretary
Sir Alan Massey
| Second Sea Lord