|Bishop of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg|
|Appointed||3 November 2011|
|Installed||11 December 2011|
|Ordination||30 April 1988|
|Consecration||11 December 2011
by Cardinal Georges Cottier
|Born||28 October 1961
|Motto||Mihi vivere Christus est (latin) Pour moi, vivre, c’est le Christ (French)|
|Coat of arms|
Charles Morerod OP
|Reference style||The Most Reverend|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
|Posthumous style||not applicable|
Charles Morerod, O.P. (born 28 October 1961), is a Swiss Dominican prelate. Since 2011, he has been bishop of Lausanne, Genève et Fribourg. Previously he served as Rector Magnificus of the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas (the Angelicum), professor of dogmatic theology. and Secretary General of the International Theological Commission.
Morerod earned a licentiate in theology from the University of Fribourg in 1987, and a doctorate in theology from the same university in 1994. He was chaplain to the university from 1991 to 1994. In 1996, he obtained a licentiate in philosophy, also from the University of Fribourg, and a doctorate in philosophy from the Catholic University of Toulouse in 2004.
From 1987 to 1989 Morerod was engaged in pastoral ministry, first as a deacon and then as vice-parish priest at the parish of St. Paul in Geneva. From 1989 to 1992 he was Assistant at the Faculty of Theology, University of Fribourg from 1991 to 1994 and chaplain of the University of Fribourg. In 1993 he received his doctorate in theology and a licentiate in philosophy in 1996. From 1994 to 1999 he was adjunct professor of Fundamental Theology at the University of Fribourg and since 1996 professor at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas. Since 1997 he is editor of the edition in the French journal Nova et Vetera. In 1999 he became full-time professor at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas. From 1999 to 2002 he also taught at the Faculty of Theology of Lugano. He was Vice-Dean of the Faculty of Theology from 2003 to 2009 and Dean of the Faculty of Philosophy at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas. In 2004 he obtained his doctorate in philosophy at the Catholic Institute of Toulouse. From 2008-2011, he was also academic director of the Rome program for Catholic Studies students at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN.
In April 2009 he was appointed Secretary General of the International Theological Commission and Consultant of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. Morerod was appointed rector of the Angelicum in September 2009. He has been secretary general of the International Theological Commission since 22 April 2009, and consultor of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. A disciple of Charles Cardinal Journet, he has written several theological articles in the review Nova et Vetera, reflecting on the doctrinal and philosophical aspects of ecumenism. He is also an ordinary member of the Pontifical Academy of St. Thomas Aquinas.
Since 26 October 2009, Morerod has been a member of the team responsible for the dialogue with the Society of St. Pius X.
The Swiss Press began announcing on November 2, 2011, that Fr. Morerod would be named the next bishop of the diocese of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg, succeeding bishop Bernard Genoud, who had died 13 months before.
On November 3, 2011, Pope Benedict XVI named Father Morerod the Bishop of Lausanne, Geneva and Fribourg. He was consecrated on the 11th of December at the Cathedral of St. Nicholas in Fribourg. Georges Cardinal Cottier, a fellow Dominican, was the principal consecrator.
He was appointed a member of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments.
- "P. Prof. Dr. Charles Morerod OP". Facultas Philosophorum. Pontificia Universitas Studiorum a Sancto Thoma Aquinate in Urbe. 24 August 2010. Archived from the original on 27 July 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Curriculum vitæ in English". Prof. Charles Morerod. Pontificia Universitas Studiorum a Sancto Thoma Aquinate in Urbe. 19 July 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- NOMINA DEL VESCOVO DI LAUSANNE, GENÈVE ET FRIBOURG (SVIZZERA) Archived April 3, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- Charles Morerod, new secretary of the International Theological Commission. Rome: Rome Reports, via YouTube. 9 July 2009. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- Pierre Berset (Nov 2, 2011). "Nouvel évêque pour Lausanne, Genève et Fribourg ("New bishop for Lausanne, Geneva, and Fribourg")" (in French). Radio Television Suisse.
- Catholic news Agency: "Switzerland’s newest bishop ready to evangelize" December 13, 2011
- Faculty page at the Angelicum
- Publications by and about Charles Morerod in the catalogue Helveticat of the Swiss National Library
|Catholic Church titles|
Luis Ladaria Ferrer
|General Secretary of the International Theological Commission
22 April 2009 – 3 November 2011
Serge Thomas Bonino