Charles Murray, 7th Earl of Dunmore
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fincastle was the eldest son of Alexander Murray, 6th Earl of Dunmore and his wife, Catherine. His maternal grandmother was the Russian noblewoman Countess Catherine Woronzoff (or Vorontsova), daughter of the Russian ambassador to St James's, Semyon Romanovich Vorontsov.
In 1874, he was appointed a Lord-in-waiting in Disraeli's government, a post he held until 1880. In 1875, he was made Lord Lieutenant of Stirlingshire, which he remained until 1885. In 1882 he was appointed Lieutenant-Colonel of the 1st Inverness-shire Rifle Volunteers (later the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders). He retired in 1896. In 1892–93 he traveled through the eastern Pamirs to Kashgar. He was engaged in some form of diplomacy or espionage but the matter is not clear.
- Alexander Edward, styled Viscount Fincastle, later 8th Earl of Dunmore (1871–1962)
- Lady Evelyn Cobbold (1867–1963), married John Dupuis Cobbold.
- Lady Muriel (d. 1946), married Harold Gore Browne.
- Lady Grace (1873–1960), married William James Barry, Esq.
- Lady Victoria Alexandrina (1877–1925)
- Lady Mildred (1878–1969), married (1) Gilbert Follet, (2) Sir John FitzGerald, 3rd Baronet.
- The Pamirs: Being a Narrative of a Year's Expedition on Horseback and on Foot Through Kashmir, Western Tibet, Chinese Tartary, and Russian Central Asia. J. Murray. 1894.
- The Revelation of Christianus and Other Christian Science Poems. University Press. 1901.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charles Murray, 7th Earl of Dunmore.|
- Fryer, Sydney Ernest (1912). . In Lee, Sidney. Dictionary of National Biography, 1912 supplement. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- S. E. Fryer, rev. Elizabeth Baigent. "Murray, Charles Adolphus, seventh earl of Dunmore (1841–1907)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/35156. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- Middleton, Robert; Thomas, Huw; Whitlock, Monica (2011). Tajikistan and the High Pamirs: A Companion and Guide. Odyssey Publications. ISBN 978-962-217-818-2.
- Works by or about Charles Murray, 7th Earl of Dunmore at Internet Archive
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Dunmore
The Earl of Breadalbane and Holland
The Earl of Zetland
The Duke of Montrose
| Lord Lieutenant of Stirlingshire
The Duke of Montrose
(prev. The Duke of Clarence)
| Colonel of the 1st Volunteer Battalion
of the Cameron Highlanders
Sir John Ewart
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Earl of Dunmore
|This biography of an earl in the Peerage of Scotland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|