Sir Charles Oatley
Charles William Oatley (1904-1996)
|Born||14 February 1904|
|Died||11 March 1996 (aged 92)|
|Alma mater||St. John's College, Cambridge|
|Known for||Scanning electron microscope|
|Awards||Duddell Medal (1969)|
Royal Medal (1969)
Faraday Medal (1970)
Mullard Award (1973)
Potts Medal (1989)
|Fields||Physicist and Electronic engineer|
English Electric Valve Company
King's College London
University of Cambridge
|Academic advisors||Edward Victor Appleton|
|Doctoral students||Haroon Ahmed|
Colin J. R. Sheppard
|Influences||John D. Cockcroft|
Sir Charles William Oatley OBE, FRS FREng (14 February 1904 – 11 March 1996) was Professor of Electrical Engineering, University of Cambridge, 1960–1971, and developer of one of the first commercial scanning electron microscopes. He was also a founder member of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
He was born on Valentine's Day, February 14, 1904.
He was awarded the Howard N. Potts Medal in 1989. He died on 11 March 1996.
"A project for a Ph.D. student must provide him with good training and, if he is doing experimental work, there is much to be said for choosing a problem which involves the construction or modification of some fairly complicated apparatus. I have always felt that university research in engineering should be adventurous and should not mind tackling speculative projects.":12
His students included:
- Thomas Everhart former President of Caltech
- Alec Broers former Vice-Chancellor of the University of Cambridge, former president of the Royal Academy of Engineering.
- Haroon Ahmed former Master of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge and Professor of Microelectronics
- Smith, K. C. A. (1998). "Sir Charles William Oatley, O. B. E. 14 February 1904-11 March 1996". Biographical Memoirs of Fellows of the Royal Society. 44: 331. doi:10.1098/rsbm.1998.0022.
- Everhart, T. E. (1996). "Persistence pays off: Sir Charles Oatley and the scanning electron microscope" (PDF). Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B: Microelectronics and Nanometer Structures. 14 (6): 3620. doi:10.1116/1.588737.
- "Obituary: Professor Sir Charles Oatley". The Independent. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- email@example.com. "Heriot-Watt University Edinburgh: Honorary Graduates". www1.hw.ac.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "Biography ~ Sir Charles Oatley". www.purbeckradar.org.uk. Retrieved 2016-04-07.
- "Honorary Graduates 1966 to 1988". University of Bath. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Hawkes, Peter W. (2004). Advances in imaging and electron physics: Volume 133, Sir Charles Oatley and the Scanning Electron Microscope (1st ed.). Oxford: Elsevier Academic Press. ISBN 978-0123859853.
- Rodenburg, J.M. (1997). Electron microscopy and analysis 1997 : proceedings of the Institute of Physics Electron Microscopy and Analysis Group conference, Cavendish Laboratory, University of Cambridge, 2-5 September 1997. Bristol: Institute of Physics Pub. pp. 11–16. ISBN 978-0750304412. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Ratinac, Kyle R. (2008). "Great moment 9: Scanning electron microscopy". In Ratinac, Kyle R. 50 great moments : celebrating the golden jubilee of the University of Sydney's Electron Microscope Unit. University of Sydney, N.S.W.: Sydney University Press. pp. 71–81. ISBN 9781920898762. Retrieved 19 June 2015.
- Charles Oatley: Pioneer of Scanning Electron Microscopy
- The Papers of Sir Charles Oatley accessed 2 July 2008
- Charles Oatley at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
|This biography article of a United Kingdom academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|