|Born||Charles Oliveira da Silva
October 17, 1989
Guarujá, São Paulo, Brazil
|Other names||do Bronx|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||145.0 lb (65.8 kg; 10.36 st)|
|Reach||74.0 in (188 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Houston, Texas, United States|
|Team||Macaco Gold Team|
|Rank||Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu under Ericson Cardoso and Jorge "Macaco" PatinoBlack belt in|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Charles Oliveira da Silva (born October 17, 1989) is a Brazilian mixed martial artist who competes in the featherweight division. A professional MMA competitor since 2008, Oliveira mainly fought in small Brazilian promotions until his move to the UFC in 2010. As of August 27, 2016, he is ranked #6 in official UFC featherweight rankings.
Mixed martial arts career
Oliveira began his amateur and then professional MMA career in 2007 in his home country of Brazil, compiling a record of 12–0, with six knockouts and five submission wins. On three separate occasions, Oliveira has compiled multiple wins in the same night.
In March 2008, Oliveira made his professional debut at the Predador FC 9 - Welterweight Grand Prix event. In the first round Oliveira defeated Jackson Pontes via submission (rear-naked choke) which advanced him to the second stage of the tournament held the same night. Oliveira's second stage fight was against Viscardi Andrade. In the second round of the fight, Oliveira won via TKO (punches) and advanced to the final round of the tournament. Oliveira won the tournament by defeating Diego Braga via TKO (punches) in the first round of the fight.
Oliveira once again competed twice in one night, in February 2010, defeating Rosenildo Rocha via submission (rear-naked choke) in the first round and Diego Bataglia via KO (slam).
Oliveira is managed by Wade Hampel of Big Fight Management.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
In January 2010, Oliveira was named as the third best Brazilian prospect to watch in 2010, according to Sherdog.
Oliveira then signed for the UFC and made his debut against Darren Elkins. This fight was originally scheduled for The Ultimate Fighter: Team Liddell vs. Team Ortiz Finale, but was rescheduled for UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko due to visa issues. Oliveira defeated Elkins via submission (armbar) after 41 seconds of the first round. Oliveira was taken down early by Elkins, but quickly attempted a triangle choke, before transitioning to an armbar, forcing the tapout. The submission earned him the Submission of the Night award.
Oliveira next fought against Efrain Escudero at UFC Fight Night 22 replacing an injured Matt Wiman. The bout, which served as co-main event would become a catchweight bout after Escudero weighed in at 159 lb. Oliveira went on to defeat Escudero in the third round via standing rear-naked choke. Oliveira was awarded the Submission of the Night award for his second successive UFC appearance.
Oliveira faced Nik Lentz on June 26, 2011 at UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry. The fight ended in the second round after Oliveira hit Lentz with an illegal knee which went unnoticed by the referee and submitted the dazed Lentz via rear-naked choke. However, after reviewing the incident, the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission overturned the result and declared it a no contest. The back and forth action earned both fighters Fight of the Night honors.
Oliveira was expected to face Joe Lauzon on November 19, 2011 at UFC 138. However, Oliveira instead faced Donald Cerrone on August 14, 2011 at UFC on Versus 5, replacing an injured Paul Taylor. He lost the fight via TKO (punches) at 3:01 of the first round. His trainer has recently stated that after going 0-2-1 NC in his last 3 fights he plans on dropping down to the featherweight division.
Oliveira was briefly linked to a bout with Robert Peralta on January 20, 2012 at UFC on FX: Guillard vs. Miller, but instead faced promotional newcomer Eric Wisely in a featherweight fight on January 28, 2012 at UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis. Oliveira won the fight via reverse calf slicer submission in the first round.
Oliveira faced Cub Swanson on September 22, 2012 at UFC 152. Early in the first round, Swanson hit Oliveira with body shots, which visibly appeared to hurt Oliveira. Swanson followed it up with an overhand right, sending Oliveira to the canvas and resulting in a KO.
Oliveira was expected to face Estevan Payan on October 19, 2013 at UFC 166. However, Payan was forced out of the bout citing a broken foot and was replaced by Jeremy Larsen. Subsequently on October 5, Oliveira pulled out of the Larsen bout citing a strained thigh muscle.
Oliveira faced Andy Ogle on February 15, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 36. He won the fight via triangle choke submission in the third round. The win also earned him one of the first UFC Performance of the Night bonus awards.
Oliveira was expected to face Nik Lentz in a rematch on September 5, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 50. At the event weigh in, Oliveira came in over the 146 pound featherweight limit at 150 pounds. Subsequently, he was initially forced to surrender 20 percent of his purse to opponent Nik Lentz and the bout was changed to a catchweight affair. In turn, Oliveira was pulled from the event entirely on the day of the event after he fell ill from the effects of the weight cutting process.
Oliveira finally faced Nik Lentz in a rematch on May 30, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 67. Following a back and forth first two rounds, Oliveria won the fight via guillotine choke submission in the third round. The win earned Oliveria his third Performance of the Night bonus and his third Fight of the Night bonus.
Oliveira faced Max Holloway on August 23, 2015 at UFC Fight Night 74. He lost the fight via TKO in the first round after suffering an apparent neck/shoulder injury while attempting a takedown and was unable to continue. The injury was later described as a micro-tear in his esophagus, although Oliveira was released from a Saskatoon hospital the next day, and tested negative for major chest, neck and/or throat injuries. He later confirmed that he suffered a minor neck injury, related to a previous injury from his training camp. He will not require surgery.
Oliveira faced Myles Jury on December 19, 2015 at UFC on Fox 17. In the lead up to the fight Oliveira missed weight - his fourth time in his UFC career - for the bout and it was subsequently contested at a catchweight. Oliveira won the fight via submission in the first round.
Oliveira next faced Anthony Pettis on August 27, 2016 at UFC on Fox 21. After a grueling back-and-forth battle, with Pettis generally dominating standing up and Oliveira repeatedly taking Pettis down, Pettis submitted Oliveira in the third round via guillotine choke.
Oliveira faced Ricardo Lamas on November 5, 2016 at The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale. The bout was contested at a catchweight of 155 lbs, as Oliveira missed weight by nearly 10 lbs. Lamas won the fight via submission in the second round.
Championships and accomplishments
Mixed martial arts
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Predator FC
- Welterweight Grand Prix Champion
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|29 matches||21 wins||7 losses|
|Loss||21–7 (1)||Ricardo Lamas||Submission (guillotine choke)||The Ultimate Fighter Latin America 3 Finale||November 5, 2016||2||2:13||Mexico City, Mexico||Catchweight (155 lbs) bout; Oliveira missed weight.|
|Loss||21–6 (1)||Anthony Pettis||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: Maia vs. Condit||August 27, 2016||3||1:49||Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada|
|Win||21–5 (1)||Myles Jury||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC on Fox: dos Anjos vs. Cerrone 2||December 19, 2015||1||3:05||Orlando, Florida, United States||Catchweight (150.5 lbs) bout; Oliveira missed weight.|
|Loss||20–5 (1)||Max Holloway||TKO (neck injury)||UFC Fight Night: Holloway vs. Oliveira||August 23, 2015||1||1:39||Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada|
|Win||20–4 (1)||Nik Lentz||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Alves||May 30, 2015||3||1:10||Goiânia, Brazil||Performance of the Night. Fight of the Night.|
|Win||19–4 (1)||Jeremy Stephens||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter: A Champion Will Be Crowned Finale||December 12, 2014||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Catchweight (146.5 lbs) bout; Oliveira missed weight.|
|Win||18–4 (1)||Hatsu Hioki||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC Fight Night: Te Huna vs. Marquardt||June 28, 2014||2||4:28||Auckland, New Zealand||Performance of the Night.|
|Win||17–4 (1)||Andy Ogle||Submission (triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Mousasi||February 15, 2014||3||2:40||Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||16–4 (1)||Frankie Edgar||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 162||July 6, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||16–3 (1)||Cub Swanson||KO (punch)||UFC 152||September 22, 2012||1||2:40||Toronto, Ontario, Canada||Catchweight (146.2 lbs) bout; Oliveira missed weight.|
|Win||16–2 (1)||Jonathan Brookins||Submission (anaconda choke)||The Ultimate Fighter: Live Finale||June 1, 2012||2||2:42||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–2 (1)||Eric Wisely||Submission (reverse calf slicer)||UFC on Fox: Evans vs. Davis||January 28, 2012||1||1:43||Chicago, Illinois, United States||Featherweight debut. Submission of the Night.|
|Loss||14–2 (1)||Donald Cerrone||TKO (punches)||UFC Live: Hardy vs. Lytle||August 14, 2011||1||3:01||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States|
|NC||14–1 (1)||Nik Lentz||NC (illegal knee)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||2||1:48||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States||Submission win for Oliveira overturned due to an illegal knee. Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||14–1||Jim Miller||Submission (kneebar)||UFC 124||December 11, 2010||1||1:59||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||14–0||Efrain Escudero||Submission (standing rear-naked choke)||UFC Fight Night: Marquardt vs. Palhares||September 15, 2010||3||2:25||Austin, Texas, United States||Catchweight (159 lbs) bout; Escudero missed weight. Submission of the Night.|
|Win||13–0||Darren Elkins||Submission (armbar)||UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko||August 1, 2010||1||0:41||San Diego, California, United States||Submission of the Night.|
|Win||12–0||Diego Bataglia||KO (slam)||Warriors Challenge 5||February 14, 2010||1||N/A||Porto Belo, Brazil|
|Win||11–0||Rosenildo Rocha||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Warriors Challenge 5||February 14, 2010||1||1:21||Porto Belo, Brazil|
|Win||10–0||Eduardo Pachu||Decision (split)||Eagle Fighting Championship||September 26, 2009||3||5:00||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||9–0||Alexandre Bezerra||Submission (anaconda choke)||First Class Fight 3||September 18, 2009||2||1:11||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||8–0||Dom Stanco||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ring of Combat 24||April 17, 2009||1||3:33||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||7–0||Carlos Soares||Submission (inverted triangle armbar)||Jungle Fight 12: Warriors 2||March 21, 2009||1||2:48||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||6–0||Elieni Silva||TKO (knee and punches)||Korea Fight 1||December 29, 2008||2||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||5–0||Daniel Fernandes||KO (punches)||Korea Fight 1||December 29, 2008||N/A||N/A||São Paulo, Brazil|
|Win||4–0||Mehdi Baghdad||TKO (punches)||Kawai Arena 1||December 13, 2008||1||1:01||São Paulo, Brazil||Lightweight debut.|
|Win||3–0||Diego Braga||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 9: Welterweight Grand Prix||March 15, 2008||1||2:30||São Paulo, Brazil||PFC Welterweight Grand Prix Final.|
|Win||2–0||Viscardi Andrade||TKO (punches)||Predador FC 9: Welterweight Grand Prix||March 15, 2008||1||2:47||São Paulo, Brazil||PFC Welterweight Grand Prix Semifinal.|
|Win||1–0||Jackson Pontes||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Predador FC 9: Welterweight Grand Prix||March 15, 2008||1||2:11||São Paulo, Brazil||PFC Welterweight Grand Prix Quarterfinal.|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Condit vs. Alves". UFC.com. Retrieved May 30, 2015.
- T.P. Grant (February 2, 2012). "Charles "do Bronx" Oliveira awarded black belt. Gracie Mag sent out a tweet that yesterday that...". bloodyelbow.com.
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- BJJ Heroes. "Charles Oliveira - BJJ Heroes: the jiu jitsu encyclopedia". Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Charles Oliveira". sherdog.com. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Filho home, back in the gym soon". sherdog.com. March 29, 2008.
- "Weekend Rundown: Valimaki captures TFC gold". sherdog.com. September 21, 2009.
- John Morgan (October 28, 2011). "Charles Oliveira making transition to UFC's featherweight division". mmajunkie.com.
- "10 Brazilians to watch in 2010". sherdog.com. January 25, 2010.
- "UFC newcomer Charles Oliveira meets Darren Elkins at TUF 11 Finale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved May 1, 2010.
- "Gunderson vs. Holst official for TUF 11 Finale. Elkins vs. Oliveira to UFC on Versus 2". mmajunkie.com. June 5, 2010.
- "Escudero vs. Oliveira official for UFC Fight Night 22, main card now set". mmajunkie.com. August 31, 2010.
- "UFC Fight Night 22 live weigh-in results". mmajunkie.com. September 14, 2010.
- "Despite fast changing life, UFCs Charles Oliveira promises to remain the same". mmajunkie.com. September 16, 2010.
- "Miller vs. Oliveira added to UFC 124". mmaweekly.com. October 6, 2010.
- "PSAC: UFC on Versus 4's Oliveira vs. Lentz overturned, declared a no-contest". mmajunkie.com. June 29, 2011.
- "Charles Oliveira, Joe Lauzon likely to meet at UFC 138". tatame.com. 2011-07-06.
- "Charles Oliveira replaces Paul Taylor, meets Donald Cerrone at UFC on Versus 5". mmajunkie.com. 2011-07-07.
- "UFC on Versus 5 Play-by-Play: Donald Cerrone vs. Charles Oliveira". MMAweekly.com. 2011-08-14.
- "Charles Oliveira making transition to UFC's featherweight division". mmajunkie.com. 2011-10-28.
- "Breaking News: Charles Oliveira's next opponent named". The Cage Door. November 16, 2011.
- mmajunkie.com Staff (December 4, 2011). "Featherweights Charles Oliveira vs. Eric Wisely targeted for UFC on FOX 2". mmajunkie.com. Archived from the original on December 5, 2011. Retrieved December 4, 2011.
- "Jonathan Brookins vs Charles Oliveira booked for June 1 in Las Vegas". mmamania.com. April 7, 2012.
- "UFC 152 adds Swanson vs. Oliveira to Toronto show". mmajunkie.com. August 2, 2012.
- "UFC 152 results: Charles Oliveira vs. Cub Swanson". mmajunkie.com.
- Franklin McNeil (March 28, 2013). "Edgar to fight Oliveira at UFC 162". espn.go.com. Retrieved March 28, 2013.
- Guilherme Cruz (August 8, 2013). "Charles Oliveira vs. Estevan Payan set for UFC 166". mmafighting.com. Retrieved August 8, 2013.
- Staff (September 10, 2013). "With Estevan Payan out, Charles Oliveira meets Jeremy Larsen at UFC 166". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved September 10, 2013.
- Thomas Myers (2013-10-05). "Charles Oliveira injured, removed from UFC 166 fight card in Houston". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- Staff (November 27, 2013). "Andy Ogle meets Charles Oliveira at UFC Fight Night 36 in Brazil". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved November 27, 2013.
- Staff (2014-02-16). "UFC Fight Night 36 bonuses: Silva, Oliveira earn first 'performance' bonuses". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- Staff (2014-04-28). "Hatsu Hioki vs. Charles Oliveira added to UFC Fight Night 43 in Auckland". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- Jacob Cooper (July 10, 2014). "Charles Oliveira vs Nik Lentz 2 heading to UFC Fight Night 50". cagepages.com. Retrieved July 10, 2014.
- Staff (2014-09-04). "UFC Fight Night 50 weigh-in results: Headliners good, Oliveira four pounds heavy". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- Matt Erickson (2014-09-05). "Charles Oliveira pulled from Nik Lentz bout at UFC Fight Night 50". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2014-09-05.
- MMAFighting Newswire (September 30, 2014). "Jeremy Stephens to clash with Charles Oliveira at TUF 20 Finale". mmafighting.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Staff (2015-05-14). "UFC Fight Night 67: Condit vs. Alves fight card lineup finalized". themmareport.com. Retrieved 2015-05-14.
- Thomas Myers (2015-05-31). "UFC Fight Night 67 results: Charles Oliveira submits Nik Lentz late in action-packed rematch". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- Thomas Myers (2015-05-31). "UFC Fight Night 67 Bonus Awards". fightofthenight.com. Retrieved 2015-05-31.
- Mike Bohn (2015-06-15). "Max Holloway vs. Charles Oliveira headlines UFC's debut in Saskatoon on Aug. 23". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-15.
- Steven Marrocco (2015-08-23). "UFC Fight Night 74 results: Max Holloway awarded TKO following Charles Oliveira injury". mmajunkie.com.com. Retrieved 2015-08-23.
- Mike Bohn (2015-08-24). "UFC: Esophagus tear forced Charles Oliveira's early UFC Fight Night 74 exit". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- Brett Okamoto (2015-08-25). "Charles Oliveira released from hospital". espn.go.com. Retrieved 2015-08-25.
- Evelyn Rodrigues (2015-08-29). "Do Bronx explica lesão no pescoço e diz que não vai precisar de cirurgia" (in Portuguese). sportv.globo.com. Retrieved 2015-08-29.
- Matt Erickson (2015-10-07). "Myles Jury drops to featherweight, meets Charles Oliveira at UFC on FOX 17 in Orlando". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-10-07.
- Staff (2015-12-18). "UFC on FOX 17 official weigh-in results: Some confusion atop the scale". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-12-18.
- Anton Tabuena (2015-12-19). "Video: Charles Oliveira chokes out Myles Jury, calls out Conor McGregor". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved 2015-12-20.
- Tristen Critchfield (2016-06-15). "Anthony Pettis to make 145-pound debut vs. Charles Oliveira at UFC on Fox 21". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2016-06-15.
- Martin, Damon. "Anthony Pettis submits Charles Oliveira in featherweight debut". Fox Sports. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Damon Martin (2016-10-12). "Ricardo Lamas vs. Charles Oliveira in the works for UFC Fight Night in Mexico". foxsports.com. Retrieved 2016-10-12.
- "UFC Fight Night 98 weigh-in results: Charles Oliveira badly misses weight, but fight still on". MMAJunkie.com. 2016-11-04. Retrieved 2016-11-04.
- Staff (2016-11-05). "UFC Fight Night 98 results: Ricardo Lamas chokes out Brazilian choke specialist Charles Oliveira". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-11-05.
- Tristen Critchfield (2017-02-11). "Will Brooks vs. Charles Oliveira added to UFC 210 lineup in Buffalo". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2017-02-11.
- "MMAjunkie's 'Submission of the Month' for February 2014 - MMAjunkie". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- "MMAjunkie's 'Submission of the Month' for May: Which choke was the best? - MMAjunkie". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-07-12.
- Jordan Breen and Patrick Wyman (2014-12-30). "Sherdog.com's 2014 Submission of the Year". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.
- Patrick L. Stumberg (2014-12-25). "Best UFC/MMA submissions of 2014, a Top 5 list". mmamania.com. Retrieved 2015-08-24.