Charles S. Anderson Design
The Charles S. Anderson Design company of Minneapolis, Minnesota, established in 1989, has produced packaging, identity, and product design for a diverse list of clients including French Paper. Apart from the design company's client work CSA Images creates licensable artwork that appeals to editorial and advertising needs yet has also been adapted for home furnishings and apparel.
Established in 1989, Charles S. Anderson Design specializes in identity development, packaging, and product design. In addition to their client work, CSA Design is unique in creating archives of licensable artwork. Created over many decades, the CSA Images collection is a digital museum of art for commerce, a vast and ever-expanding resource of illustration inspired by the visual history of art, design, and typography.
Charles S. Anderson Design Company's work has been exhibited in several museums including The Permanent Collection of The Museum of Modern Art, New York; The Nouveau Salon des Cent-Centre Pompidou, Paris; The Smithsonian Institution's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum, New York; The Institute of Contemporary Arts, London; The Library of Congress Permanent Collection, Washington D.C.; The Museum Für Gestaltung, Zürich; The Museum Für Kunst und Gewerbe, Hamburg; The Bibliothèque nationale de France, Paris; The Museum of Modern Art, Hiroshima; and The Museum of Contemporary Art, Shanghai.
The firm's work has also been featured in numerous prominent publications including The New York Times, In Style, Dwell, Fortune, Rolling Stone, Esquire, Time, Forbes, Entertainment Weekly, Newsweek, Vanity Fair, GQ, The LA Times, and ReadyMade, Communication Arts, Print Magazine, among others.
- In 1989, Charles S. Anderson Design was founded with a single client - The French Paper Company.
- In 1995, the firm launched CSA Images with their first collection of illustrations; indexed, categorized and available for licensing. CSA Images licenses unique visual content worldwide to designers, art directors, retailers and manufacturers for use across a number of different media types including print, online, products, mobile and TV.
- In 2003, CSA Design was selected to participate in the Design Triennial at the Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum. The Triennial Exhibit is an overview of the best contemporary architecture, fashion design, graphic design, and industrial design in America.
- In 2006, CSA Design launched the Pop Ink brand of licensed products, including paper products and objects d'art, in collaboration with French Paper. Pop Ink products are backed by the extensive CSA Images library and printed on French Paper, establishing a retail paper product line for French.
- In 2007, Charles S. Anderson Design Company's work was again included in the Design Triennial at the Smithsonian Institution's Cooper-Hewitt National Design Museum.
- 2011 marks the 25th year that Charles S. Anderson has worked with the French Paper Company, and the 140th Anniversary of French Paper.
- 2014 Charles S. Anderson was awarded the AIGA medal in recognition of exceptional achievement. The medal of AIGA—the most distinguished in the field—is awarded to individuals in recognition of their exceptional achievements, services or other contributions to the field of design and visual communication.
- French Paper
- Pottery Barn
- American Eagle Outfitters
- Ralph Lauren
- Paramount Pictures
- The New York Times
- Best Buy
- Japanese Monster
- Turner Classic Movies