Charles Somerset, 1st Earl of Worcester
|Earl of Worcester|
|Spouse(s)||Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert
|Father||Henry Beaufort, 3rd Duke of Somerset|
|Died||15 March 1526 (aged 65–66)|
He was invested as a Knight of the Garter in about 1496. On 1 February 1514 he was created Earl of Worcester and was at some time appointed Lord Chamberlain of the Household to King Henry VIII. As Lord Chamberlain, Somerset was largely responsible for the preparations for the Field of Cloth of Gold in 1520.
Marriages & progeny
He married three times, although his second marriage is uncertain:
- Firstly on 2 June 1492, to Elizabeth Herbert, 3rd Baroness Herbert (died pre-March 1513) (daughter of William Herbert, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, 2nd Baron Herbert) in right of whom he was created Lord Herbert. By Elizabeth Herbert he had the following children:
- Secondly to Elizabeth West, daughter of Sir Thomas West, 8th Baron De La Warr. His supposed marriage to Elizabeth West, however, may be an error made by Dugdale, repeated by later writers. By Elizabeth West he supposedly had the following progeny:
- Thirdly to Eleanor Sutton, daughter of Edward Sutton, 2nd Lord Dudley.
Death & burial
Somerset died on 15 April 1526 and was buried with his first wife at St. George's Chapel.
- Burke, John, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of peerage, baronetage and knightage, (G.P.Putnam's Sons:New York, 1914), 207.
- Gurney, E. Henry, Reference handbook for readers, students, and teachers of English history , (Ginn & Company:Boston, 1890), 55.
- Burke, 207.
- McClain, Molly, Beaufort: the duke and his duchess, 1657-1715, (Yale University Press, 2001), xxi
- Jonathan Hughes, "Somerset , Charles, first earl of Worcester (c.1460–1526)", Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press, September 2004; online edition, January 2007 [accessed 1 Sept 2010] (Subscription required for online version)
- Burke, 207
- Burke, John, Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of peerage, baronetage and knightage, G.P.Putnam's Sons:New York, 1914.
- Gurney, E. Henry, Reference handbook for readers, students, and teachers of English history , Ginn & Company:Boston, 1890.
- McClain, Molly, Beaufort: the duke and his duchess, 1657-1715, Yale University Press, 2001.
The Earl of Oxford
|Captain of the Yeomen of the Guard
Sir Henry Guilford
The Earl of Arundel
|Peerage of England|
|Earl of Worcester