|Charles G. Speziale|
June 16, 1948|
Newark, New Jersey, United States
|Died||April 30, 1999
|Alma mater||Newark College of Engineering, Rutgers University, Princeton University|
|Known for||Turbulence theory, turbulence modelling, non-newtonian fluid flows, turbulence, heat transfer, combustion modelling|
Charles Gregory Speziale (June 16, 1948 – April 30, 1999) was a scientist who had worked in NASA Langley Research Center and a former Professor in Department of Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering, Boston University, Massachusetts, US.
Speziale was born on June 16, 1948, in Newark, New Jersey. His father was Peter Speziale. Charles Speziale was the only child in the family.
Speziale attended the Newark College of Engineering (currently known as New Jersey Institute of Technology), where he earned a bachelor's degree in civil engineering and applied mathematics in 1970, and master's degree in engineering mechanics in 1972. He spent the following year at Rutgers University, New Jersey, to study mechanical engineering and continued Ph.D. study in Princeton University. In 1977, He received a Ph.D. degree from Princeton University in New Jersey.
Research and teaching
Speziale had contributed to fluid mechanics. He had published many articles in turbulence, non-Newtonian fluid mechanics, heat transfer and combustion modelling, and kinetic theory of gases. He had been a scientist in ICASE, NASA Langley Research Center.
Speziale had been a faculty member at Stevens Institute of Technology.
During the years 1993–1999, Speziale taught turbulence and engineering courses in the College of Engineering at Boston University. He had taught graduate courses in turbulence and focused his research on turbulence modeling. His latest work had been published on the turbulence modelling of computing non-equilibrium turbulent flows in complex flows.
Speziale had been an APS fellow in 1997, cited "For the rational analysis and modeling of turbulent flows that has enhanced our ability to compute complex flows of scientific importance". Speziale had been memorialized by many researchers for his original work in his fields, especially in turbulence.
- Zhou, Ye; Girimaji, Sharath (December 1999). "Obituary: Charles Gregory Speziale". Physics Today. 52 (12): 77. Bibcode:1999PhT....52l..77Z. doi:10.1063/1.882916.
- "Towards the development of second-order closure models for nonequilibrium turbulent flows". International Journal of Heat and Fluid Flow. 17: 238–244. doi:10.1016/0142-727X(96)00028-8.
- "American Physical Society Division of Fluid Dynamics Fellowship".
- "ASME Symposium on "Modeling and simulation of turbulent flows" -- In memory of Prof. Charles G. Speziale".
- "Symposium on topics in the flows of complex fluids -- In memory of Professor Charles G. Speziale" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-18.