Anna Johnson Stanley
(m. 1958; div. 2000)
|Children||Two, including Andy Stanley|
|Profession||Pastor, televangelist, theologian, author|
|Based in||Atlanta, Georgia|
|Profession||Pastor, televangelist, theologian, author|
Charles Frazier Stanley (born September 25, 1932) is the senior pastor of First Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia. He is also the founder and president of In Touch Ministries and also served two one-year terms as president of the Southern Baptist Convention from 1984 to 1986. He has an evangelical and dispensationalist theology.
Charles Frazier Stanley was born in Dry Fork, Pittsylvania County, Virginia, just nine months before his father, Charley, died. Stanley grew up in rural Dry Fork in the outskirts of Danville. At the age of 12, Charles became a born-again Christian, and at age 14 he began his life's work in Christian ministry. Stanley received his bachelor's degree from the University of Richmond. He later obtained his Masters of Divinity from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. He received his Th.M. and Th.D. degrees in theology from Luther Rice Seminary in Florida (which later relocated to Lithonia, Georgia).
Stanley joined the staff of First Baptist Church of Atlanta in 1969 and became senior pastor in 1971. As a young pastor, he was given the motivational book Think and Grow Rich. He has written, "I began to apply the principles of that book to my endeavors as a pastor, and I discovered they worked!" He also wrote, "For years, I read Think and Grow Rich every year to remind myself that the truth of God is not just for one career field. It is for all manner of work and ministry." In 1972, Stanley launched a half-hour religious television program called The Chapel Hour. The Christian Broadcasting Network began televising this show in 1978. In 1982, Stanley founded In Touch Ministries with the mission to lead people worldwide into a growing relationship with Jesus Christ and to strengthen the local church. In Touch uses tools like radio, television, magazines and digital media to advance the Gospel as quickly as possible. Dr. Stanley decided to call the ministry In Touch, because it comes from a Living Bible he owned. During the 1980s, the ministry's broadcasts were available in nearly every major American media market, usually on Sundays. In 2006, In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley could be heard in 107 languages. Currently, it airs in more than 50 languages worldwide. In the United States, "In Touch" is broadcast on approximately 500 radio stations, 300 television stations and several satellite networks including The Inspiration Network (INSP) and Trinity Broadcasting Network. Stanley's sermons are also available on the In Touch Web site and are downloadable in the form of podcasts, along with other video and audio programming. In Touch also produces the magazine In Touch, an award-winning publication printed in four languages. Stanley's writings and broadcasts address issues such as finances, parenting, personal crises, emotional matters, relationships and Protestant Christianity. According to the ministry Web site, "Dr. Stanley fervently believes the Bible to be the inerrant Word of God, a belief strongly reflected in his teaching."
Over the course of his ministry, Stanley has developed “30 Life Principles”  that have guided his life and helped him grow in his knowledge, service, and love of God. He shares these often, including in books, Bibles and study guides. He credits his grandfather, George Washington Stanley, with inspiring one of his most referenced principles: “Obey God and leave all the consequences to Him.” In his book Courageous Faith: My Story from a Life of Obedience, Stanley said, “Granddad told me, ‘Charles, if God tells you to run your head through a brick wall, you head for the wall, and when you get there, God will make a hole for it.’”
In 2005, Stanley invited Lisa Ryan to co-host a question-and-answer segment called "Bring It Home," which aired after the sermon and advertisements. The Q&A segment was intended to help the audience better grasp the content of the sermon through the use of questions the average listener might ask. The segment was discontinued in late 2006 and replaced by Stanley alone. In early 2007, Stanley began using the final segment of the "In Touch" TV and radio programs to teach on his "30 Life Principles." Related materials and teaching are available online through InTouch.org's "Life Principles Center."
In addition to his work in Christian ministry, Stanley is an avid photographer. Much of his photographic work is featured in the In Touch magazine, as well as in other materials printed by the ministry (such as the In Touch wall and desk calendars).
Charles Stanley's divorce from his wife Anna in 2000, after several years of separation, caused a minor controversy in the Southern Baptist Convention. The matter was complicated by reports that Stanley had said he would resign as pastor if he became divorced. At the time, he did not believe his separation would result in divorce. However, when it did, the members of his church overwhelmingly voted to keep him on as pastor. According to First Baptist Atlanta's bylaws, Stanley will be able to keep his post as long as he does not remarry.
Charles Stanley's son Andy Stanley is the pastor of North Point Community Church in nearby Alpharetta, Georgia. Stanley also has a daughter named Becky, whom Stanley has occasionally mentioned in his sermons.
Stanley's wife of more than 40 years, Anna J. Stanley, originally filed for divorce on June 22, 1993, following their separation in spring of 1992. The two of them agreed that Anna would amend the lawsuit to seek a legal separation instead ("separate maintenance"), while seeking reconciliation. She again filed for divorce on March 20, 1995. Even though this was not the end of the marriage, the Moody Radio Network station in Atlanta (then-WAFS) took Stanley's daily broadcast off the air during that time, as managers concluded that there was no sign of reconciliation. The Stanleys were legally separated at the time that divorce papers were filed for the last time on February 16, 2000. A judge signed the final divorce decree on May 11, 2000.
Anna Johnson Stanley died on November 10, 2014.
- 1980: Making The Bible Clear with Fred L. Lowery ISBN 0-961079223
- 1982: Handle With Prayer ISBN 0-89693-963-4
- 1985: How to Listen to God ISBN 0-8407-9041-4
- 1985: Confronting Casual Christianity ISBN 0-8054-5022-X
- 1986: How to Keep Your Kids on Your Team ISBN 0-7852-7351-4
- 1989: How to Handle Adversity ISBN 0-7852-6418-3
- 1990: Eternal Security: Can You Be Sure? ISBN 0-7852-6417-5
- 1991: The Gift of Forgiveness ISBN 0-7852-6415-9
- 1992: The Wonderful Spirit-Filled Life ISBN 0785277471
- 1995: The Love of God ISBN 1-56476-532-6
- 1995: The Source of My Strength ISBN 0-7852-0569-1
- 1999: A Touch of His Power: Meditations on God's Awesome Power ISBN 0-310-21492-0
- 2000: Success God's Way ISBN 0-7852-6590-2
- 2000: Into His Presence: An In Touch Devotional ISBN 0-7852-8013-8
- 2001: The Gift of Love ISBN 0-7852-6618-6
- 2001: Our Unmet Needs ISBN 0-7852-7796-X
- 2002: Walking Wisely ISBN 0-7852-7298-4
- 2002: Winning the War Within ISBN 0-7852-6416-7
- 2003: Finding Peace ISBN 0-7852-7297-6
- 2003: God is in Control ISBN 0-8499-5739-7
- 2004: When the Enemy Strikes ISBN 0-7852-8788-4
- 2005: Charles Stanley's Life Principles Bible ISBN 1-4185-0572-2
- 2005: Living in the Power of the Holy Spirit ISBN 0-7852-6512-0
- 2005: Living the Extraordinary Life : 9 Principles to Discover It ISBN 0-7852-6611-9
- 2006: Discover Your Destiny ISBN 0-7852-6369-1
- 2006: Pathways to His Presence: A Daily Devotional ISBN 0-7852-2163-8
- 2007: Landmines in the Path of the Believer: Avoiding the Hidden Dangers ISBN 1-4002-0090-3
- 2008: In Step with God ISBN 1-4002-0091-1
- 2008: Stuck in Reverse ISBN 1-4002-0094-6
- 2008: The Power of God's Love: A 31 Day Devotional to Encounter the Father's Greatest Gift ISBN 1-4002-0093-8
- 2008: When Your Children Hurt ISBN 1-4002-0098-9
- 2010: How to Reach Your Full Potential for God ISBN 978-1-4002-0092-4
- 2011: Turning the Tide: Real Hope Real Change ISBN 978-1-4516-26407
- 2012: Prayer: The Ultimate Conversation ISBN 978-1-4391-9065-4
- 2013: Man of God: Leading Your Family by Allowing God to Lead You ISBN 978-1-4347-0547-1
- 2013: Emotions: Confront the Lies. Conquer with Truth. ISBN 978-1-4767-5206-8
- 2013: Walking with God: Thoughts on His Indwelling Spirit, Volume 2 ISBN 0529108968
- 2014: Walking with God: Knowing God Through Prayer, Volume 3 ISBN 0785206965
- 2015: Waiting on God: Strength for Today and Hope for Tomorrow ISBN 978-1-4767-9403-7
- 2015: Christmas: The Gift for Every Heart ISBN 9780718042172
- 2016: Courageous Faith: My Story from a Life of Obedience ISBN 978-1-5011-3269-8
- 2017: Finding God’s Blessings in Brokenness: How Pain Reveals His Deepest Love ISBN 9780310084129
- 2017: Standing Strong: How to Storm-Proof Your Life with God’s Timeless Truths ISBN 9781501177392
|1972||The Chapel Hour||Host|
|1983–1985||The Breakfast Club||Host|
|1990–pres.||In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley||Host|
|2002||TBN's Praise the Lord||Guest|
|2011||19 Kids and Counting||Episode: "Donating Duggars"|
Awards and honors
- 1988: National Religious Broadcaster’s Hall of Fame
- 1989: Named Clergyman of the Year by Religious Heritage of America
- 1989: NRB named In Touch with Television Producer of the Year
- 1999: In Touch named Radio Program of the Year
- 2017: Thomas Nelson Publishing recognizes Dr. Stanley for selling more than 3.5 million copies of his books
- Southern Baptist Convention
- Southern Baptist Convention Presidents
- List of Southern Baptist Convention affiliated people
- David Roach, End Times: Scholars differ on what Bible says on subject." The Baptist Press, Dec. 30, 2009. "Baptist Press". Archived from the original on 2012-01-05. Retrieved 2012-03-25.
- Stanley, Charles, 2009, How to Reach Your Full Potential for God, p. 224, Thomas Nelson Publishers, ISBN 978-1-4002-0092-4
- Stanley bio page Archived August 22, 2010, at the Wayback Machine, In Touch Ministries
- "30 Life Principles".
-  In Touch Ministries
- 30 Life Principles Archived June 8, 2007, at the Wayback Machine, In Touch Ministries
- Many of his current photographs from Alaska are featured in the ITM Photo Gallery[full citation needed] Archived June 2, 2007, at the Wayback Machine.
- Baptist Press (2000-05-31). "Charles Stanley, wife divorce – Atlanta church affirms pastor". The Layman Online. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- Staff. "Charles Stanley, wife divorce; Atlanta church affirms pastor". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- CNN, John Blake. "Two preaching giants and the 'betrayal' that tore them apart". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- "Obituary for Anna Stanley - CUMMING, GA". Retrieved 16 April 2017.
- In Touch Ministries – Dr. Charles Stanleys Biography
- Beliefnet – Interview with Charles Stanley
- First Baptist Atlanta
- The 30 "Life Principles" developed by Charles F. Stanley to help people live life at its best.
James T. Draper, Jr.
| President of the Southern Baptist Convention