Tapper in the 2017 NFL season.
|Born:||May 7, 1993|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||270 lb (122 kg)|
|High school:||Baltimore City College|
|NFL Draft:||2016 / Round: 4 / Pick: 101|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of 2017|
|Player stats at PFR|
Tapper attended Baltimore City College, where he focused on basketball, before starting to play football as a junior, only after his mother asked him to join the team or get a job. He was a two-way player as a senior, finishing with 100 tackles and five sacks on defense, while also tallying 10 receptions for 200 yards and five touchdowns at tight end.
He accepted a football scholarship from the University of Oklahoma. As a sophomore, he became a starter at defensive end in a 3-4 defense, making 49 tackles (nine for loss), 5.5 sacks and one pass defensed.
The next year, he registered 37 tackles (eight for loss), three sacks, two passes defensed, one forced fumble and one fumble recovery. As a senior, he posted 50 tackles (10 for loss), 7 sacks, 3 passes defensed, 4 forced fumbles and one fumble recovery.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 3 in
|4.59 s||34 in
|9 ft 11 in
|All values from NFL Combine.|
Tapper was selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the fourth round (101st overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft, to play defensive end in a 4-3 defense. In training camp he was diagnosed with a pre-existing back condition (pars defect) that had gone unnoticed since birth, which forced him to miss considerable time, including all of the preseason games and the first three weeks of the regular season. He was placed on injured reserve on September 28, 2016.
In 2017, he made his debut against the New York Giants and tallied his first career sack. He was declared inactive in 2 games with the return of Damontre Moore from suspension. On October 4, he suffered a right broken foot during practice. On October 5, he was placed on the injured reserve list after undergoing surgery.
- "Charles Tapper made football his fast track". ESPN.com. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- "Charles Tapper". NFL.com. Retrieved 30 April 2016.
- Archer, Todd. "Cowboys finally address defensive end with Charles Tapper". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- Eatman, Nick. "Cowboys Place Rookie DE on Injured Reserve; Make Room To Sign OT Cleary". DallasCowboys.com. Retrieved September 28, 2016.
- "Cowboys officially place DE Charles Tapper on injured reserve". 247sports.com. October 5, 2017.
- Helman, David (September 1, 2018). "Bailey Not Only Surprise Cut As Cowboys Trim To 53". DallasCowboys.com.
- Phillips, Rob (September 2, 2018). "Lenoir, Tapper Part Of Cowboys' Practice Squad". DallasCowboys.com.
- Phillips, Rob (September 4, 2018). "Practice Squad Moves: Tapper Cut; CB, Guard Signed". DallasCowboys.com.