Sir Charles Thomas-Stanford, 1st Baronet (3 April 1858 – 7 March 1932), born Charles Thomas, was a British Conservative Party politician from Brighton. He sat in the House of Commons from 1914 to 1922.
Early life and family
The son of David Collet Thomas, from Hove, he was educated at the Highgate School and at Oriel College, Oxford, where he graduated with a B.A. degree in 1881. He was called to the bar at the Inner Temple in 1882, but did not practice.
In 1897 he married Ellen Stanford, the daughter and heiress of William Stanford of Preston Park, Sussex, and widow of Vere Benett-Stanford, the former MP for Shaftesbury. In the same year he changed his name by royal licence to Thomas-Stanford.
Thomas-Stanford was elected as a Member of Parliament (MP) for Brighton in June 1914 at an unopposed by-election following the resignation of the Conservative MP John Gordon. He was re-elected in 1918 as a Coalition Conservative (i.e. a supporter of the coalition government led by the Liberal David Lloyd George), and stood down from Parliament at the 1922 general election.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "B" (part 5)
- Hesilridge, Arthur G. M. (1918). Debrett's House of Commons and the Judicial Bench 1918. London: Dean & Son. p. 154.
- "Sir C. Thomas-Stanford Donor Of Lewes Castle". The Times. London. 8 March 1932. p. 20.
- "By-Election At Brighton. Retirement Of The Hon. J. E. Gordon". The Times. London. 23 June 1914. p. 8.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1989) . British parliamentary election results 1832–1885 (2nd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 83. ISBN 0-900178-26-4.
- "No. 28845". The London Gazette. 30 June 1914. p. 5068.
- "News in Brief". The Times. London. 25 June 1914. p. 8.
- "No. 31147". The London Gazette. 28 January 1919. p. 1356.
- Craig, F. W. S. (1983) . British parliamentary election results 1918–1949 (3rd ed.). Chichester: Parliamentary Research Services. p. 103. ISBN 0-900178-06-X.
- "The New Year Honours. Full Official List., Three Peerages". The Times. London. 1 March 1929. p. 8.
- "No. 33493". The London Gazette. 10 May 1929. p. 3124.
|Wikisource has original works written by or about:|
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by Charles Thomas-Stanford
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
Sir Alfred Cooper Rawson
| Member of Parliament for Brighton
1914 – 1922
With: George Tryon
Sir Alfred Cooper Rawson
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baronet