Charles Toppin (Cambridge University cricketer)
|Born||9 August 1864|
|Died||8 June 1928 (aged 63)|
Great Malvern, Worcestershire
|Domestic team information|
|1885 to 1887||Cambridge University|
Source: Cricinfo, 6 August 2015
Charles Toppin (9 August 1864 – 8 June 1928) was an English cricketer who played 25 first-class matches in the late 19th century. The bulk of these (20) were for Cambridge University, but he also appeared twice each for the Gentlemen and Gentlemen of England, and once for Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC).
Charles Toppin was educated at Sedbergh School and St John's College, Cambridge. He made his first-class debut for Cambridge against C. I. Thornton's England XI in May 1885, claiming Thornton's wicket as his first at this level. His best bowling figures came in the Varsity Match against Oxford University at Lord's later that same season, when his first-innings return of 7-51 set up a seven-wicket victory.
Toppin appeared for the Gentlemen against the Players at Lord's in 1885 and 1886, while he continued to play for Cambridge until 1887, being selected for both Varsity matches. After a gap of several years, he made one final first-class appearance in 1891 when he played for MCC against Somerset at Taunton. He also played several times for Cumberland and for Worcestershire in its pre-first-class days.
He was a master for 42 years at Malvern College, Worcestershire, where he also coached the cricket team. He encouraged batsmen to attack, with an emphasis on front-foot drives. Several of his pupils became Test players, including R. E. Foster, Frank Mann, Donald Knight and Errol Holmes.
- "Toppin, Charles (TPN883C)". A Cambridge Alumni Database. University of Cambridge.
- "Cambridge University v CI Thornton's England XI in 1885". CricketArchive. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Oxford University v Cambridge University in 1885". CricketArchive. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Somerset v Marylebone Cricket Club in 1891". CricketArchive. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Miscellaneous matches played by Charles Toppin". CricketArchive. Retrieved 2015-08-06.
- Errol Holmes, Flannelled Foolishness, Hollis & Carter, London, 1957, pp. 17-18.