Charles Victor Thompson
Charles Victor Thompson (born 13 June 1970) is an inmate sentenced to death in April 1999 and currently resides on Texas Death Row. He was sentenced to death for the murder of his girlfriend Dennise Hayslip, and her lover, Darren Cain. Thompson made headlines in 2005 by escaping from Harris County Jail in Houston, Texas after a parole meeting using a forged ID badge, claiming to be with the Attorney General's office. He was captured three days later outside a liquor store in Shreveport, Louisiana where he was using a pay phone while intoxicated. He was able to get food and clothing, he told investigators, posing as a Hurricane Katrina evacuee. He also got money from Good Samaritans in Shreveport.
Thompson is appealing his death penalty conviction as he states that there was insufficient evidence to support his capital murder conviction because intervening medical care was the direct cause of Dennise Hayslip’s death, not the actual shooting.
In 2008, a biography by Roger Rodriguez was released titled The Grass Beneath His Feet: The Charles Victor Thompson Story. In it, Rodriguez highlights the details regarding his escape but does not reveal how Thompson received a handcuff key.
- "An interview with escapee Charles Victor Thompson".
- "Justice for Charles Thompson: Wrongful Death Row Conviction".
- Rodriguez, Roger (31 December 2008). "The Grass Beneath His Feet: The Charles Victor Thompson Story". AuthorHouse – via Amazon.
- "Inside Polunsky". 21 May 2013.
- "Mother Jones".
- Chuck Thompson. "Between the Bars".