|Born||1948 (age 69–70)|
|Residence||New York City, New York|
|Alma mater||B.A. Long Island University|
M.S. New York University
|Known for||co-founder of Bloomberg L.P.|
|Net worth||$1.8 billion (November 2018)|
|Spouse(s)||Spouse 1 (widowed)|
Merryl Judith Snow
Early life and education
Zegar was born to a Jewish family, the son of Lillian, a musical comedy performer and opera singer, and Henry Zegar, a subway conductor for the New York City Transit Authority. He earned a Bachelor of Arts and Science from Long Island University and a master's degree in computer science from New York University.
Zegar is one of the four founding partners of Innovative Market Systems (later renamed Bloomberg L.P.), which was established in 1982. The other founders were Michael Bloomberg, Tom Secunda, and Duncan MacMillan. Zegar met Bloomberg while both were working at Salomon Brothers. Zegar initially led Bloomberg's software development efforts.
Zegar is a signatory of the Giving Pledge. His Zegar Family Foundation donates to Arts, Culture, Humanities, Education, Environment, Health, Medical Research, Human Services and Religion. Zegar is on the Board of Trustees for New York University
Zegar has been married twice. He is widowed from his first wife. He remarried in 2001 to administrative judge, Merryl Judith Snow; the service was officiated by Rabbi Joel Goor and took place at the Essex House in Manhattan.
- "Charles Zegar". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-11-05.
- "History & Facts - Bloomberg LP".
- Jewish Telegraph: "Zuckerberg among nine new Jewish individuals and families to take the Giving Pledge" By Jacob Berkman Archived March 11, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. December 10, 2010
- Forbes Israel: Jewish Billionaires - Profile of Charles Zegar April 14, 2013 (in Hebrew)
- New York Times: "WEDDINGS; Merryl Snow, Charles Zegar" June 24, 2001
- The lesser-known billionaire givers: The Bloomberg Bunch, Fortune (June 20, 2011).
- Charles and Merryl Snow Zegar, Inside Philanthropy (last accessed January 9, 2018).
- Giving Pledge: Charles Zegar and Merryl Snow Zegar retrieved March 30, 2013
- New York University Board of Trustees retrieved March 30, 2013