North Charleston station
4565 Gaynor Avenue|
North Charleston, SC
|Owned by||CSX Transportation|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Architectural style||Mid-century modern|
|Station code||Amtrak code: CHS|
|Passengers (2017)||66,759 4.51%|
North Charleston, or Charleston, is a train station located in North Charleston, South Carolina, served by Amtrak, the United States' railroad passenger system. The station was originally built by the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad in 1956, after a fire destroyed Charleston Union Station in 1947.
The depot reflects mid-century modern design popular at the time of construction. It is characterized by clean lines and minimal ornamentation. Typical features of the mid-century modern aesthetic found in the Charleston depot include a flat roof, large groupings of windows with horizontal lights, and shallow cantilevered canopies at the first and second floors. Red brick and dyed-green concrete panels arranged in alternating horizontal bands emphasize the building's rectilinear lines. Public spaces feature exposed brick on the lower walls and floors of durable green terrazzo; both materials can stand the wear and tear of large crowds and are easy to maintain. 
The station is planned to be replaced by a new intermodal station, the North Charleston Intermodal Transportation Center, located west of the current facility, near the Charleston International Airport. Construction began in September 2007, and the project has received seven million US dollars in funding.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2017, State of South Carolina" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2017. Retrieved 23 December 2017.
- "North Charleston Intermodal Station Gains Funding". Great American Stations (Amtrak). Missing or empty
- "North Charleston Station (CHS)". Great American Stations. Retrieved 24 October 2014.
- Media related to Charleston, South Carolina (Amtrak station) at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak – Stations – North Charleston, SC
- Charleston Amtrak Station (USA Rail Guide -- Train Web)
- Charleston, South Carolina Railroad Stations (South Carolina Railroad Stations)
- North Charleston, SC (CHS) (Amtrak's Great American Stations)