Charleston Conservation Park
|Charleston Conservation Park|
|Nearest town or city||Lobethal |
|Established||8 April 1976|
|Area||54 hectares (130 acres)|
|Managing authorities||Department for Environment and Water|
|See also||Protected areas of South Australia|
Charleston Conservation Park is a protected area located in the Australian state of South Australia in the locality of Charleston in the Adelaide Hills state government region about 32 kilometres (20 mi) east of the state capital of Adelaide and about 7 kilometres (4.3 mi) north of the town centre in Lobethal.
The conservation park consists of land in section 3943 in the cadastral unit of the Hundred of Onkaparinga. It was proclaimed under the National Parks and Wildlife Act 1972 on 8 April 1976. As of 2016, it covered an area of 54 hectares (130 acres).
In 1980, it was described as follows:
Charleston Conservation Park preserves a pristine remnant representative of the transition between the wetter stringy bark forests on the western side of the Mount Lofty Ranges and the drier mallee woodlands to the east. A large diversity of flora and fauna are represented in the park including at least seventy-six bird species. An area of gently undulating relief featuring three main woodland associations. These being, a Casuarina stricta association with scattered Eucalyptus leucoxylon / E. viminalis, a E. leucoxylon association and a Banksia marginata association. The understorey is dominated by Acacia pycnantha with occasional thickets of Leptospermum myrsinoides and Xanthorrhoea semiplana. Small, regenerating stands of Acacia melanoxylon and Callitris preissii are of interest. Charleston Conservation Park is in a near pristine condition despite its cultural surrounds, having never been grazed…
- "Terrestrial Protected Areas of South Australia (refer 'DETAIL' tab )". CAPAD 2016. Australian Government, Department of the Environment (DoE). 2016. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Search results for 'Charleston Conservation Park' with the following datasets selected – 'Suburbs and Localities', 'Government Towns', 'Metropolitan Adelaide Boundary (Development Act 1993)', 'SA Government Regions', 'NPW and Conservation Boundaries', 'Roads', 'Recreational Trails' and 'Gazetteer'". Location SA Map Viewer. South Australian Government. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- Banfield, B.H. (8 April 1976). "NATIONAL PARKS AND WILDLIFE ACT, 1972-1974: CHARLESTON CONSERVATION PARK CONSTITUTED" (PDF). South Australian Government Gazette. South Australian Government. p. 1895. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "Protected Areas Information System Reserve List" (PDF). Government of South Australia. 14 December 2016. Retrieved 27 December 2017.
- "Charleston Conservation Park – listing on the now-defunct Register of the National Estate (Place ID 7606)". Australian Heritage Database. Department of the Environment. 1980. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- This article incorporates text by Commonwealth of Australia available under the CC BY 3.0 AU licence.