Charleston Southern University
Charleston Southern University Sign, City of North Charleston
|Motto||Integrating Faith in Learning, Leading and Serving|
|President||Dr. Jairy C. Hunter Jr.|
|Location||North Charleston, South Carolina, United States|
|Campus||300 acres (121 ha) situated off Exit 205B on I-26.|
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
|Athletics||NCAA Division I – Big South|
|Affiliations||South Carolina Baptist Convention
Charleston Southern University, founded in 1964 as Baptist College, is an independent comprehensive university located in North Charleston, South Carolina. Charleston Southern enrolls 3,300 students. Affiliated with the South Carolina Baptist Convention, the university's vision is to be nationally recognized for integrating faith in learning, leading and serving.
The university is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to award bachelor's and master's degrees. CSU students can choose from more than 50 undergraduate majors and graduate programs in business, criminal justice, and education as well as nursing (BSN and MSN programs are available). Each degree program is combined with a comprehensive liberal arts foundation which is designed to develop problem-solving and communication skills.
The Derry Patterson Wingo School of Nursing (CSU's nursing program) offers a three-year BSN program that works closely with area hospitals. Post-grad they offer a MSN with an emphasis on education. In 2010, the program was expanded to offer a 2-1 ADN to BSN program with Trident Technical College.
The School of Business maintains one of the larger MBA programs in the state of South Carolina. While the GMAT is not required for admission, the administration has maintained a flexible yet rigorous MBA program where students can attend face-to-face classes, take online courses, or a combination of both.
Charleston Southern is located right off Exit 205B on I-26 in North Charleston, South Carolina. It is situated on 300 acres (121 ha), formerly the site of a rice and indigo plantation.
Beyond the classroom, students can participate in a variety of campus activities including academic clubs, service organizations, intramural athletics and campus ministries. Intramural athletic activities include flag football, basketball, volleyball, ultimate frisbee, and more. Campus ministries include Campus Crusade for Christ, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Prison, Campus Outreach, and Elevate.
Single students under 21 years of age are encouraged to live on campus. There are at least three dining facilities on campus; one is the cafeteria located in the Strom Thurmond Student Center, another is Java City located near the library, and the most recent addition is a Chick-fil-A on campus.
- Alpha Kappa Delta
- Alpha Nu Omega
- Future Teachers Society
- Kappa Kappa Psi
- Market Economics Society
- Music Educators Chapter
- Music Therapy
- Psi Chi
- Sigma Tau Delta
- Spanish Club
- Tri Beta
Service clubs and Greek organizations
- Alpha Delta Pi
- Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority
- American Chemical Society
- Baptist Campus Ministries
- Campus Activities Board
- Campus Crusade
- CSU Students for Life
- Delta Sigma Theta sorority
- Kappa Alpha Psi fraternity
- Kappa Kappa Psi
- Lambda Theta Chi
- Lambda Tau Chi
- Omega Psi Phi fraternity
- Omega Phi Beta sorority
- Phi Beta Sigma fraternity
- Psi Delta Phi sorority
- Psi Kappa Phi fraternity
- Recreational Services
- Residence Life Council
- Sigma Gamma Rho sorority
- Student Government Association
- Zeta Phi Beta sorority
In 2008, CSU closed its highly successful men's tennis program to reallocate funds to other sports. CSU formerly fielded a men's soccer team.
- Rick Brewer - CSU graduate and 28-year university administrator: director for external relations, assistant to the president, interim director of athletics, and vice president for student affairs, athletics, and planning; current president of Louisiana College in Pineville, Louisiana, since April 2015
- Stuart Lake - CSU baseball coach
- Bobby Parnell - Pitcher for the New York Mets
- Tim Scott - United States Senator
- Charlie Simpkins - Olympic Silver Medalist
- R. J. Swindle - Pitcher in the Tampa Bay Rays organization
- Tyler Thornburg - Pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers
- Leigh Guidry (March 25, 2015). "LC board names South Carolina VP as ninth president". The Alexandria Town Talk. Retrieved July 23, 2015.