Charleston Township, Coles County, Illinois
Location in Coles County
Coles County's location in Illinois
|Established||November 8, 1859|
|• Total||37.91 sq mi (98.2 km2)|
|• Land||37.19 sq mi (96.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.72 sq mi (1.9 km2) 1.90%|
|Elevation||686 ft (209 m)|
|• Density||643.1/sq mi (248.3/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||61912, 61920 62440|
|GNIS feature ID||0428790|
Charleston Township is one of twelve townships in Coles County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 23,916 and it contained 9,497 housing units. Eastern Illinois University is located in this township.
Charleston Township was named for one of its founders, Charles Morton.
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 37.91 square miles (98.2 km2), of which 37.19 square miles (96.3 km2) (or 98.10%) is land and 0.72 square miles (1.9 km2) (or 1.90%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Charleston (west three-quarters)
The township contains fourteen cemeteries: Adkins, Chambers, Cossel, Fudge, Huckaba, Kickapoo, Lumbrick, Mound, Old Charleston, Roselawn, Salem, Stoner, Unity and Yocum.
- Coles County Fairgrounds
- Eastern Illinois University
- Horse Racing Track
- Illinois's 15th congressional district
- State House District 110
- State Senate District 55
- "Charleston Township, Coles County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-28.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 76.
||Humboldt Township||Seven Hickory Township||Morgan Township|
|Lafayette Township||Ashmore Township|
|Pleasant Grove Township||Hutton Township|