Charlie Duplain Cheever
August 2, 1981
|Occupation||president of Expo|
|Known for||co-founder of Quora, founder of Expo, BunnyLol, Facebook News Feed, Connect, and Gaming.|
Charlie Cheever (born August 2, 1981) is the co-founder, along with Adam D'Angelo, of Quora, an online knowledge market. He was formerly an engineer and manager at Facebook, where he oversaw the creation of Facebook Connect and the Facebook Platform. Prior to Facebook, Cheever was employed by Amazon.com in Seattle. He left Facebook to start Quora in June 2009. He stepped down from active management of Quora in September 2012 but remains an advisor. In 2016 it was announced that he is working as the CEO of Expo (formerly known as Exponent), a startup company that is a "translation machine for mobile app code".
In 2000 Cheever was brought in front of Harvard’s Administrative Board for creating a database of the Harvard student body. The program enabled students to find which dorm their fellow classmates were living in. The database was quickly shut down by the Harvard administration. A few years later Cheever's project partially inspired fellow Harvard alum Mark Zuckerberg to create the website FaceMash. Zuckerberg later said that he considered Cheever to be a “kindred spirit”.
Cheever and Adam D’Angelo were responsible for most of the critical programming work involved with turning Facebook from a website into a platform. Most notably Cheever worked on Facebook Connect Authentication, the gaming platform at Facebook, and Facebook Video.
Charlie Cheever started working on Expo.io in the summer of 2015. The mission was to open up mobile software development to kids. Expo makes it easier to develop apps using React Native for major platforms including Web, iOS and Android. Expo is used by large companies like Airbnb, Walmart, and Tesla.
- Hempel, Jessi; Kowitt, Beth; Mangalindan, JP (July 9, 2010). "The smartest people in tech - Engineer runners-up: Cheever and D'Angelo (22)". Fortune Magazine. CNN. Archived from the original on September 12, 2010. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- Kokalitcheva, Kia (2016-08-23). "Quora's Co-Founder Is Back In the Startup Game at Y Combinator". Fortune. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- Charlie Cheever at Crunchbase
- TechCrunch: Quora Co-Founder Charlie Cheever Steps Back From Day-To-Day Role At The Company
- Claburn, Thomas (9 Mar 2017). "Apple empties gas can, strikes match, burns bridge to hot-patch apps". The Register. Situation Publishing. Retrieved 2017-04-06.
- David Kirkpatrick (2010). The Facebook Effect.
- David Kirkpatrick (2010). The Facebook Effect. p. 158.
- David Kirkpatrick (2010). The Facebook Effect. p. 220.
- Kokalitcheva, Kia (23 August 2016). "Quora's Co-Founder Is Back In the Startup Game at Y Combinator". Fortune. Fortune Media. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Cromwell, Vivian (30 May 2017). "Between the Wires: An interview with Quora co-founder Charlie Cheever". freecodecamp.org. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- https://expo.io/, The fastest way to build an app