Charlie Hall Chase
|Grade 2 race|
Wetherby Racecourse during the 2010 Charlie Hall Chase
|Distance||3m (5,029 metres)|
|Qualification||Five-years-old and up|
|Weight||11 st 0 lb|
7 lb for mares
Penalties for wins
6 lb for Grade 1 or Grade 2 chase *
4 lb for Grade 3 or Listed chase
* since 30 Sept. last year
(halved for novice and beginners chases)
|Definitly Red||Black Corton||Virgilio|
The Charlie Hall Chase is a Grade 2 National Hunt steeplechase in England which is open to horses aged five years or older. It is run at Wetherby over a distance of about 3 miles (3 miles and 45 yards, or 4,869 metres), and during its running there are 18 fences to be jumped. The race is scheduled to take place each year in late October or early November.
The event was established in 1969, and it was originally called the Wetherby Pattern Chase. It replaced the Emblem Handicap Chase, a handicap named after Emblem, the winner of the Grand National in 1863.
The race became known as the Charlie Hall Memorial Wetherby Pattern Chase in 1978, in memory of the trainer Charlie Hall. This was shortened to the present title in 1990.
The Charlie Hall Chase has been sponsored by Bet365 since 2003.
Most successful horse (2 wins):
- Wayward Lad – 1983, 1985
- Celtic Shot – 1990, 1991
- Barton Bank – 1993, 1995
- One Man – 1996, 1997
- See More Business – 1999, 2000
- Ollie Magern – 2005, 2007
Leading jockey (3 wins):
- Graham Bradley – Righthand Man (1982), Wayward Lad (1985), Celtic Shot (1991)
- Carl Llewellyn – Tipping Tim (1992), Young Hustler (1994), Ollie Magern (2005)
- Mick Fitzgerald – See More Business (1999, 2000), Marlborough (2002)
Leading trainer (5 wins):
- Nigel Twiston-Davies – Tipping Tim (1992), Young Hustler (1994), Ollie Magern (2005, 2007), Bristol de Mai (2017)
Winners since 1981
- The 1976 race was a dead-heat and has joint winners
- Horse racing in Great Britain
- List of British National Hunt races
- Recurring events established in 1969 – this race is included under its original title, Wetherby Pattern Chase.
- Racing Post:
- pedigreequery.com – Charlie Hall Chase – Wetherby.
- runnersandriders.co.uk – Runners and Riders – British National Hunt and Flat Racing.
- Ladbrokes Pocket Companion 1990/91. Aesculus Press. 1990. p. 39. ISBN 1-871093-21-X.
- Race Recordings