Charles N. "Charlie" Papazian is an American nuclear engineer who founded the Association of Brewers and the Great American Beer Festival, and wrote The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. Papazian is the current president of the Brewers Association. He attended the University of Virginia.
In 1979 Papazian founded the Association of Brewers and remained President of that organization until 2005, when the Association of Brewers merged with the 63-year-old Brewers Association of America, and Papazian was named President of the combined organization. Papazian also founded the American Homebrewers Association in 1978, a group that is also now under the umbrella of the Brewers Association. Other organizations and annual events subsequently founded by Papazian include the Institute for Brewing Studies, Brewers Publications, the Great American Beer Festival, the World Beer Cup, and Zymurgy magazine.
Complete Joy of Home Brewing
In 1984, Papazian wrote his first book on the subject of home brewing, titled The Complete Joy of Home Brewing. The book contained a foreword by influential British beer writer Michael Jackson. As of August 2005, The Complete Joy of Home Brewing had seen 25 reprintings, 3 editions, and has sold over 900,000 copies. A fourth edition was released in September 2014. As the first American (and, for over a decade, the only) mass-market book to provide in-depth information on subject of how to brew beer in the home, The Complete Joy of Home Brewing was very often the sole source of home brewing information for novice home brewers in America. Consequently, the book has gained iconic status among America's home brewing community, who have referred to it as the "home brewer's bible." Papazian has since written five more books.
National Pie Day
- Joy of Brewing, Copyright 1976, Log Boom Brewing, Boulder Colorado
- The Complete Joy of Homebrewing (4th Edition), ISBN 0-06-221575-2
- The Homebrewer's Companion, ISBN 0-06-058473-4
- Brewing Mead: Wassail! In Mazers of Mead (co-authored with Robert Gayre), ISBN 0-937381-00-4
- Home Brewer's Gold: Prize-Winning Recipes from the 1996 World Beer Cup Competition (compiled by Charlie Papazian, currently out-of-print), ISBN 0-380-79192-7
- Zymurgy For The Homebrewer And Beer Lover: Best Articles and Advice From America's #1 Homebrewing Magazine (edited by Charlie Papazian, currently out-of-print), ISBN 0-380-79399-7
- Microbrewed Adventures: A Lupulin Filled Journey to the Heart and Flavor of the World's Greatest Craft Beers, ISBN 0-06-075814-7
- Acitelli, Tom (2013). The Audacity of Hops: The History of America's Craft Beer Revolution. Chicago: Chicago Review Press. p. 56. ISBN 9781613743881. OCLC 828193572.
- "The Revival in the History of Beer". CraftBeer.com. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- Acitelli, Tom (2013). The Audacity of Hops: The History of America's Craft Beer Revolution. Chicago: Chicago Review Press. p. 83. ISBN 9781613743881. OCLC 828193572.
- "A Few Words with Charlie Papazian". homebrew.com. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing Fourth Edition". harpercollins.com. Retrieved 2014-10-02.
- "National Pie Day: A Colorado-born holiday". The Denver Post. January 23, 2014.