|Born||30 November 1993|
|Occupation||Actor, singer, dancer|
Stemp was born and raised in Peckham, London. He attended the Belcanto London Academy Theatre School, and trained for three years at Laine Theatre Arts in Epsom. He is also a keen football and rugby player.
Stemp appeared as the lead actor in Sir Cameron Mackintosh’s new production of Half a Sixpence, written by Julian Fellowes. He first performed the role at Chichester Festival Theatre from July to September 2016. In October 2016, the musical transferred to the Noel Coward Theatre in the West End, and extended its booking to 2 September 2017. For this role, Stemp won the WhatsOnStage Award for Best Actor in a Musical and was nominated for the 2017 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actor in a Musical.
Stemp appeared on Broadway in the revival of Hello, Dolly!, starting on January 20, 2018, officially on February 22, 2018, as Barnaby Tucker. He took over the role originally played by Taylor Trensch. This marked his Broadway debut. The show closed on August 25, 2018.
On 13 September 2018, it was announced that Stemp would be playing the role of Bert in a West End revival of Mary Poppins opposite Zizi Strallen in the title role, due to open at the Prince Edward Theatre in the autumn of 2019.
|2013–14||Wicked||Ensemble||Apollo Victoria Theatre||West End|
|2015||Mamma Mia!||Eddie||Various||International Tour|
|2016||Half a Sixpence||Arthur Kipps||Chichester Festival Theatre||Regional|
|2016–17||Noël Coward Theatre||West End|
|2017–18||Dick Whittington||Dick Whittington||London Palladium||West End|
|2018||Hello, Dolly!||Barnaby Tucker||Shubert Theatre||Broadway|
|2018–19||Snow White||Prince Harry of Hampstead||London Palladium||West End|
|2019||Rough Crossing||Dvornichek||Various||UK Tour|
|2019–20||Mary Poppins||Bert||Prince Edward Theatre||West End|
Awards and nominations
|2017||BroadwayWorld UK / West End Awards||Best Actor in a New Production of a Musical||Half a Sixpence||Nominated|
|WhatsOnStage Awards||Best Actor in a Musical||Won|
|Laurence Olivier Awards||Best Actor in a Musical||Nominated|
|2018||Theatre World Award||Outstanding Broadway Debut||Hello Dolly||Won|
- "Half a Sixpence / CountryWives". 17 December 2016.[permanent dead link]
- "Half a Sixpence star Charlie Stemp reflects on a remarkable run".
- "Rising star: Half A Sixpence's Charlie Stemp - theatre.london". 27 October 2016.
- "Half a Sixpence's Charlie Stemp: 'I'm like a back rash'". 25 November 2016.
- "Half a Sixpence at Chichester – two young actors introduced". 9 May 2016.
- "Cameron Mackintosh hails Charlie Stemp as best new star since Michael Crawford - News - The Stage". 18 November 2016.
- Sixpence, Half A. "Charlie Stemp - Half A Sixpence".
- "REVIEW: You won't be short-changed by Half a Sixpence at Chichester Festival Theatre".
- McPhee, Ryan. Bernadette Peters Is Broadway's New Hello, Dolly! Headliner Beginning January 20" Playbill, January 20, 2018