Charline von Heyl
Charline von Heyl
Charline von Heyl (born 1960) is a German abstract painter. She also works with drawing, printmaking, and collage. She moved to the United States in the 1990s, and has studios in New York City and in Marfa, Texas.
Von Heyl was born in Mainz and spent her childhood in Bonn. Her father was a lawyer, her mother a psychologist. She studied painting at the Hochschule für bildende Künste of Hamburg under Jörg Immendorff, and at the Kunstakademie Düsseldorf under Fritz Schwegler. In the mid-1990s she moved to New York City, where she has a studio in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
In 2005, von Heyl's exhibition Concentrations 48: Charline von Heyl was held at the Dallas Museum of Art in Dallas, Texas, USA, and in 2009, her work was exhibited in Le jour de boire est arrivé held at Le Consortium, a contemporary art center in Dijon, France.
In 2011-2012, von Heyl had two major traveling retrospectives. Charline von Heyl, Now or Else started at the Tate Liverpool in Liverpool, England and subsequently traveled to the Kunsthalle Nürnberg in Nuremberg, Germany and the Bonner Kunstverein in Bonn, Germany. A second show, Charline von Heyl, was exhibited within the United States at the Institute of Contemporary Art, Boston and the Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia.
- "Charline von Heyl : CV" (PDF). Prod-images.exhibit-e.com. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Stephen Wallis (March 21, 2012), The Bold Work of Charline von Heyl Architectural Digest.
- Diane Solway (August 19, 2013), Charline von Heyl: In the Abstract W.
- Kirsty Bell (May 2009), Its Own Reality Archived January 21, 2013, at the Wayback Machine. frieze.
- Roberta Smith (April 23, 2015), Review: Charline von Heyl, ‘Düsseldorf: Paintings From the Early 1990s’ New York Times.
- "Dallas Museum of Art". Dallas Museum of Art. Archived from the original on 2013-10-04. Retrieved 2013-10-01.
- Kantor, Jordan (January 1, 2012), "Charline von Heyl", Artforum, (Subscription required (help))
- Marcus, Daniel (March 1, 2012), "Charline von Heyl", Artforum, (Subscription required (help))
- Jones, Catherine (March 5, 2012), "Review: Charline von Heyle, Tate Liverpool", Liverpool Echo, (Subscription required (help))
- Smee, Sebastien (March 25, 2012), "Painting like there's no tomorrow: In a too-small ICA show, Charline von Heyl's works vibrate with life and pop with invention", Boston Globe, (Subscription required (help))
- Carol Vogel (December 12, 2013), Steve McQueen Among 6 Hugo Boss Prize Finalists New York Times.
- Oranges and Sardines. Hammer Museum, Los Angeles, 2009.
- Bomb, Number 113. Bomb (Interview), 2010.
- Charline von Heyl Paintings 1990-2010. Les presses du réel, 2010.
- Parkett, No. 89. Parkett, 2011.
- Charline von Heyl. Institute of Contemporary Art, Philadelphia, 2011.
- Charline von Heyl Now or Else. Tate Liverpool and Kunsthalle Nürnberg, 2012.