|Birth name||Charlotte Irene Caffey|
|Born||October 21, 1953|
Santa Monica, California, U.S.
|Genres||Punk rock, pop rock, new wave|
|Instruments||Guitar, keyboards, bass, piano|
|Associated acts||The Eyes, The Go-Go's, The Graces, Rachel Platten|
Caffey began her musical career as a bass guitar player in the early Los Angeles punk band The Eyes before joining the Go-Go's in 1978 and switching to guitar. She remained friends with fellow band member Belinda Carlisle after the initial break up of the Go-Go's and wrote songs for Carlisle's solo albums.
From 1988 till 1992, she led her own band, The Graces, with Meredith Brooks and Gia Ciambotti, who released the album Perfect View in 1989. Caffey also co-wrote the theme song to the television series Clueless with Anna Waronker, and played piano on the album version of "Foolish Games" by Jewel, as well as co-writing the No. 1 U.S. country hit "But for the Grace of God" with Keith Urban.
Caffey wrote the book, music, and lyrics for Lovelace: A Rock Musical with Anna Waronker. The rock musical debuted at the Hayworth Theatre in Los Angeles in 2008. A new production of Lovelace: A Rock Musical made its United Kingdom debut at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe in August 2010. A number of her songs will be featured in the 2018 debut of the Broadway musical Head Over Heels, with a story suggested by Philip Sidney's Arcadia set to the songs of the Go-Go's and Belinda Carlisle.
She grew up in Glendale, California, and graduated from Immaculate Heart College. She is also in Ze Malibu Kids with her husband, the Redd Kross singer and guitarist Jeff McDonald. Their only child, a daughter named Astrid, was born in 1995.
She was the third of thirteen children born to Ann (nee' Gorey) and Michael Caffey, a well-known television director from the mid-1960s on into the 1990s. Charlotte semi-retired in the late 1980s because of crippling carpal tunnel syndrome.
With The Go-Go's
- 1981: Beauty and the Beat (IRS)
- 1982: Vacation (I.R.S.)
- 1984: Talk Show (I.R.S.)
- 2001: God Bless The Go-Go's (Beyond Music)
With The Graces
- 1989: Perfect View (A&M)
As primary artist/song contributor
- 1984: various artists – The Wild Life – Music from the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (MCA) – track 10, "No Trespassing" (with Louise Goffin)
- 1987: Andy Summers – XYZ (MCA) – track 8, "XYZ" (co-written with Andy Summers)
- 1987: Belinda Carlisle – Heaven On Earth (MCA) – track 4, "Should I Let You In?" (co-written with Mark Holden); track 7, "We Can Change" (co-written with Rick Nowels); track 9, "Nobody Owns Me" (co-written with Mark Holden and Clyde Lieberman); track 12, "Love Never Dies..." (co-written with Rick Nowels and Thomas Caffey)
- 1989: Belinda Carlisle – Runaway Horses (MCA / Virgin) – track 10, "Shades of Michaelangelo" (co-written with Belinda Carlisle)
- 1991: Belinda Carlisle – Live Your Life Be Free (Virgin / MCA) – track 10, "World of Love" (co-written with Jeff McDonald and Steve McDonald)
- 1992: Poison Idea – Pajama Party (Vinyl Solution / Tim/Kerr) – track 3, "We Got the Beat"
- 1996: Belinda Carlisle – A Woman and a Man (Chrysalis) – track 9, "Kneel at Your Feet" (co-written with Tom Caffey and Belinda Carlisle)
- 1997: Redd Kross – Show World (Universal) – track 12, "Get Out of Myself" (co-written with Jeff McDonald and Steve McDonald)
- 1998: Hole – Celebrity Skin (DGC) – track 5, "Reasons to be Beautiful" (co-written with Jordon Zadorozny)
- 1998: Penelope Houston – Tongue (Reprise) – track 2, "Tongue" (co-written with Penelope Houston and Jane Wiedlin)
- 1998: Sabrina the Teenage Witch: The Album (Geffen) – track 12, "Smash" (co-written with Jane Wiedlin and the Murmurs)
- 2001: Birgit – Few Like Me (Virgin) Netherlands – track 2, "Oblivious" (co-written with Jennifer Day and Kevin Savigar)
- 2003: The Bangles – Doll Revolution (Koch) – track 3, "Something That You Said" (co-written with Susanna Hoffs and Vicki Peterson)
- 2011: James Durbin – Memories of a Beautiful Disaster (Wind-up) – track 3, "Love in Ruins" (co-written with Anna Waronker and Steve McDonald)
- 2012: Redd Kross – Researching the Blues (Merge) – track 1, "Researching the Blues" (co-written with Anna Waronker and Steve McDonald)
- 2016: Redd Kross/ Side Eyes – Songs that Chargo Taught Us (In The Red Recordings) – "Screaming" co-written with Jane Wieldin. Done by Redd Kross & "Don't Talk to Me" co-written with Joe Ramirez. Done by Side Eyes which features daughter Astrid on vocals.
Also appears on
- 1980: The Specials – More Specials (2 Tone) – backing vocals
- 1982: Robert Williams – Late One Night (A&M) – vocals on track 8, "Gotta Be Nice"
- 1986: Belinda Carlisle – Belinda (I.R.S.) – vocals, guitar
- 1988: Blake Xolton – Cool on My Skin (New Rose) – vocals
- 1995: Jewel – Pieces of You (Atlantic) – arranger, piano
- 1998: Penelope Houston – Tongue (Reprise) – guitar, vocals on track 2, "Tongue"
- Charlotte Caffey (August 20, 1996). "SongFacts: Charlotte Caffey". M.songfacts.com. Archived from the original on April 25, 2012. Retrieved March 1, 2012.
- "Go-Go's Musical Head Over Heels Eyes Summer Broadway Bow at the Hudson Theatre". Playbill. January 10, 2018. Retrieved January 29, 2018.