Charlotte Cavendish, Marchioness of Hartington
|The Right Honourable|
The Baroness Clifford
Lady Charlotte Boyle, possibly by George Knapton
Charlotte Elizabeth Boyle|
27 October 1731
8 December 1754 (aged 23)|
|Resting place||Derby Cathedral|
|Spouse(s)||William Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington|
William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire|
Dorothy Bentinck, Duchess of Portland
Lord Richard Cavendish
George Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington
Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington|
Lady Dorothy Savile
Charlotte Elizabeth Cavendish, Marchioness of Hartington, 6th Baroness Clifford (née Boyle; 27 October 1731 – 8 December 1754) was the daughter of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and Lady Dorothy Savile. From 1748 until her death she was married to William Cavendish, Marquess of Hartington, later the 4th Duke of Devonshire and Prime Minister of Great Britain.
Family and early life
Lady Charlotte Elizabeth Boyle was the only surviving daughter of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington and Lady Dorothy Savile. Her mother was the daughter of William Savile, 2nd Marquess of Halifax.
On 28 March 1748, she married William Cavendish, then the Marquess of Hartington, who later became the 4th Duke of Devonshire and the Prime Minister of Great Britain. The advantageous union had been arranged since childhood and was happy. The marriage helped him rise politically. They had four children: William, Dorothy, Richard, and George.
Charlotte inherited great wealth upon the death of her father in 1754. As the heir of her father, she succeeded to the title of Baroness Clifford suo jure. Through her marriage, the Cavendish family, with the main title of Duke of Devonshire, inherited the 3rd Earl of Burlington's estates (the title went to the Orrery Boyles). These estates included: Burlington House, Piccadilly, London (now the Royal Academy of Arts); Chiswick House, London; Londesborough Hall, Yorkshire; Bolton Abbey, Yorkshire; Lismore Castle, County Waterford, Ireland. Charlotte was her father's sole remaining heir.
Charlotte and her husband William had four children:
- William Cavendish, 5th Duke of Devonshire (14 December 1748 – 29 July 1811)
- Lady Dorothy Cavendish (27 August 1750 – 3 June 1794), who married William Cavendish-Bentinck, 3rd Duke of Portland.
- Lord Richard Cavendish (19 June 1752 – 7 September 1781)
- George Augustus Henry Cavendish, 1st Earl of Burlington (31 March 1754 – 4 May 1834)
Titles from birth to death
- The Lady Charlotte Boyle (1731–1748)
- Marchioness of Hartington (1748–1753)
- The Rt. Hon. The Baroness Clifford, Marchioness of Hartington (1753–1754)
- Works cited
- Schweizer, Karl Wolfgang (2004). "Cavendish, William, fourth duke of Devonshire (bap. 1720, d. 1764)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/4949. (Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
|Peerage of England|
| Baroness Clifford