Landgravine Charlotte of Hesse-Homburg
|Charlotte of Hesse-Homburg|
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar|
17 June 1672|
|Died||29 August 1738
|Spouse||Johann Ernst III, Duke of Saxe-Weimar|
|Issue||Prince Johann Ernest|
|Father||Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg|
|Mother||Louise Elisabeth of Courland|
Born in Kassel, she was the eldest of twelve children born from the second marriage of Frederick II, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg with Louise Elisabeth Kettler, Princess of Courland and Semigallia. From her eleven full-siblings, eight survive adulthood: Frederick III Jacob, Landgrave of Hesse-Homburg, Karl Christian, Hedwig Louise (by marriage Countess of Schlieben), Philipp, Wilhelmine Maria (by marriage Countess of Aldenburg), Eleonore Margarete, Elisabeth Franziska (by marriage Princess of Nassau-Siegen) and Casimir William (whose son eventually inherited Homburg). In addition, Charlotte had further three half-siblings from her father's third marriage with Sophie Sybille of Leiningen-Westerburg, of whom only one survive: Louis George.
- Charles Frederick (Weimar, 31 October 1695 - Weimar, 30 March 1696).
- Johann Ernest (Weimar, 25 December 1696 - Frankfurt, 1 August 1715).
- Marie Louise (Weimar, 18 December 1697 - Weimar, 29 December 1704).
- Christiane Sophie (Weimar, 7 April 1700 - Weimar, 18 February 1701).
After her husband's death in 1707, she received as a Wittum (Dower land) the town of Hardisleben. Her main residence was the Yellow Castle (German: Gelbe Schloss) in Weimar, which was built during 1702-1704.
The guardianship of her only surviving child, Johann Ernest, was given to her brother-in-law William Ernest; however, Charlotte devotedly took care of her son during his illness and death aged 18, in 1715.
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of the House of Hesse". genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved 5 October 2014.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Charlotte Dorothea Sophia Landgraefin v.Hessen-Homburg in: Genealogy Database by Herbert Stoyan [retrieved 5 October 2014].
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy of the House of Wettin". genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved 5 October 2014.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Hesse-Homburg line in: Royaltyguide.nl [retrieved 5 October 2014].
- Karl Helmrich: Geschichte des Grossherzogthums Sachsen-Weimar-Eisenach für Schule und Haus, p. 106. [retrieved 5 October 2014].
- Johann Samuel Ersch: Allgemeine Encyclopädie der Wissenschaften und Künste in alphabetischer..., p. 260. [retrieved 5 October 2014].
Landgravine Charlotte of Hesse-HomburgBorn: 17 June 1672 Died: 29 August 1738
Title last held byPrincess Sophie Auguste of Anhalt-Zerbst
|Duchess consort of Saxe-Weimar
Title next held byEleonore Wilhelmine of Anhalt-Köthen