Charlotte Johnson Wahl
Charlotte Johnson Wahl
Charlotte Offlow Fawcett
May 1942 (age 77)
|Alma mater||Lady Margaret Hall, Oxford|
Charlotte Maria Offlow Johnson Wahl (née Fawcett; born May 1942) is a British artist. She is the mother of Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Conservative MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip.
Early life and education
Born Charlotte Offlow Fawcett in Oxford, Charlotte Johnson Wahl is the daughter of Frances (née Lowe) and James Fawcett. She was the granddaughter of Americans Elias Avery Lowe, a palaeographer of Russian Jewish descent, and Helen Tracy Lowe-Porter, a translator. She read English at Oxford University, and was the first married female undergraduate at Lady Margaret Hall. She interrupted her studies to go to the US with her husband Stanley Johnson whom she met at Oxford and married in Marylebone, London in 1963. She later returned and was awarded a second-class honours degree.
Johnson Wahl is recorded as having "made her name as a professional portrait painter" for the likes of Crispin Tickell, Joanna Lumley, Jilly Cooper, and Simon Jenkins, but also paints landscapes which have been described as echoing the Vorticist style.
She continues to paint. Her paintings sell for £1,000 to £5,000. Two of Wahl's paintings are in the collection of the Bethlem Museum of the Mind; another two are in the collections of Oxford University colleges.
Johnson Wahl is the mother of UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the MP Jo Johnson, the journalist Rachel Johnson, and the entrepreneur Leo Johnson. Charlotte and Stanley divorced in 1979. Johnson Wahl then married American professor Nicholas Wahl in 1988, but was widowed in 1996. Johnson Wahl was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease at the age of 40.
- "Charlotte Maria Offlow JOHNSON WAHL". Personal Appointments. Companies House.
- "Charlotte Johnson-Wahl profile". The Times. 15 May 2008. p. 15.
- Llewellyn Smith, Julia (17 May 2008). "Boris Johnson, by his mother Charlotte Johnson Wahl". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 May 2008.
- "Family of influence behind Boris Johnson". The Daily Telegraph. 3 May 2008. Retrieved 6 May 2010.
- "Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP". The Houses of Parliament. Retrieved 24 July 2019.
- "Index entry". FreeBMD. ONS. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Interview: Boris Johnson – my Jewish credentials Archived 2015-05-19 at the Wayback Machine, The Jewish Chronicle, Daniella Peled, April 2008
- Killen, Mary (March 2015). "Boris Johnson's mother on her brilliant brood". Tatler. Retrieved 19 January 2018.
- Jones, Jonathan (15 May 2008). "What would Boris's artist mum say about his train booze ban?". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 May 2008.
- Charlotte Johnson Wahl paintings, BBC Your Paintings; accessed 1 May 2016.