Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency
|Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency|
|Princess de Condé|
|Born||11 May 1594|
|Died||2 December 1650 (aged 56)|
|Spouse||Henri, Prince de Condé|
|Issue||Anne Geneviève, Duchess de Longueville|
Louis, Prince de Condé
Armand, Prince de Conti
|Father||Henri de Montmorency, Duke of Montmorency|
|Mother||Louise de Budos|
Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency (11 May 1594 – 2 December 1650) was an heiress of one of France's leading ducal families, and Princess de Condé by her marriage to Henri de Bourbon. She almost became a mistress of Henry IV of France, but her husband escaped with her after the wedding and did not return to France until after King Henry's death.
The daughter of Henri de Montmorency and his second wife, Louise de Budos, Charlotte lost her mother before she was five years of age. She was brought up under the care of her aunt Charlotte, widow of Charles, Duke d'Angoulême. In 1609, fifteen-year-old Charlotte-Marguerite wed the Prince of Condé in a glittering ceremony.
Along with many other French nobles, her husband bitterly opposed the rule of Marshal d'Ancre, who abandoned the policy of the late King Henry IV. In September 1616, Condé and Charlotte-Marguerite were arrested and imprisoned at Vincennes, where their daughter Anne Geneviève was conceived and born three years later, in 1619.
In 1632, Charlotte-Marguerite's only brother, Henri, Duke de Montmorency was executed for intriguing against Cardinal Richelieu. The title passed to her. She was buried at the Carmel du faubourg Saint-Jacques, a Carmelite convent in Paris.
Her children with the Prince de Condé were:
- Anne Genevieve (1619-1679); married Henri d'Orléans, Duke de Longueville.
- Louis, Prince of Condé, "le Grand Condé" (1621-1686); married Claire-Clémence de Maillé-Brézé.
- Armand de Bourbon, Prince of Conti (1629-1666); married Anne Marie Martinozzi.
- Architectural record, Volume 16. Chantily Castle. p. 509.
- Pardoe, Julia. The life of Marie de Medicis, queen of France. James Pott and Company, 1902, p. 389.
- Holt, Emily Sarah (2010). "Princess of Condé". Memoirs of royal ladies. Nabu Press. p. 135. ISBN 1146580428.
- Herman, Eleanor (2005). "The Penalties of Defiance". Sex with Kings: 500 Years of Adultery, Power, Rivalry, and Revenge. William Morrow Paperbacks. p. 95. ISBN 0060585447.
- Chisholm, Hugh. 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica. 16, Navi-Ornithology. p. 986.
- Fetridge, William Pembroke (1878). The American Travellers' Guides. 17, Part 1. France. p. 421.
- The Encyclopædia Britannica. Ed. Thomas Spencer Baynes. Henry G. Allen and Company, 1888. Vol. 14, p. 867.
- Media related to Charlotte Marguerite de Montmorency at Wikimedia Commons
Charlotte Marguerite de MontmorencyBorn: 11 May 1594 Died: 2 December 1650
|Duchess de Montmorency||Succeeded by|
Louis, le Grand Condé