Charlotte Russe (clothing retailer)
This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (June 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||San Diego, California, U.S.|
Number of locations
|Jenny Ming (President & CEO)|
|Products||Clothing, footwear, and accessories for women|
Number of employees
Charlotte Russe is a clothing retail chain store in the United States, headquartered in San Diego, California. Fashions in the stores are targeted at women in their teens and twenties. The company owns and operates stores in 45 states,. It can be found in many malls/shopping centers. As of June 2014[update], Charlotte Russe operates 560 stores.
Charlotte Russe was founded in 1975 by Daniel Lawrence and his two brothers, all who worked in their family's Brooklyn, New York clothing business. Lawrence and his siblings formed Lawrence Merchandising Corp. in Carlsbad, California. With the first Charlotte Russe storefront in San Diego, California, other locations were established throughout the 1970s and early 1980s.
In the 1990s, the style of clothing Charlotte Russe carried changed to better adapt to original customers and young women. The company saw a revenue of $50 million in 1991.
The company was acquired in 1996 by the investment firm of SKM (Saunders Karp & Megrue). The new owners had expansion plans for Charlotte Russe - evolving it into a national chain of shopping mall stores. SKM took Charlotte Russe public in 1999 until Advent International acquired it in 2009. As President and CEO, Jenny Ming led Charlotte Russe into a private holding once again.
- 1975: Lawrence brothers open first Charlotte Russe store, in Carlsbad, California.
- 1990: Charlotte Russe moves into Arizona.
- 1992: Company expands into Nevada.
- 1994: Clothing manufacturer Rampage Clothing Co. opens first retail outlet.
- 1996: Investment firm SKM buys Charlotte Russe.
- 1997: Company buys Rampage, with 15 stores nationwide.
- 1999: Charlotte Russe Holding goes public.
This store sells jeans from sizes 00 to 16 and has a new clothing line for plus sizes extending to 3x in select stores. Charlotte Russe currently has stores open in 46 states across the U.S.
- "About: Charlotte Russe". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Company Profile for Charlotte Russe Holding Inc (CHIC)". Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "Store Locator: Charlotte Russe". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Stock:Charlotte Russe Holding (CHIC)". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "History of Charlotte Russe Holding, Inc. – FundingUniverse". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Clothing Firm Charlotte Russe Will Try an IPO On for Size". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Advent to Acquire Charlotte Russe". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Charlotte Russe". Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "stores like Charlotte Russe". Archived from the original on 2012-05-31. Retrieved 2012-03-22.