Charlton Halt railway station (Bristol)
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Charlton Halt railway station was a railway station which served the village of Charlton, west of Filton in South Gloucestershire, England, on the Avonmouth and Filton Railway, now known as the Henbury Loop Line. The station was open only between 1910 and 1915, when the line was closed to passengers. The line was reopened to passengers from 1922 to 1964, but the station was not reopened.
The village of Charlton lay north of the railway line, and was demolished when Filton Aerodrome was extended in the 1940s.
Improved services on the Severn Beach Line are called for as part of the Greater Bristol Metro scheme, a rail transport plan which aims to enhance transport capacity in the Bristol area. It has been suggested that the Henbury Loop Line be reopened as part of the scheme, with the possibility of services running from Bristol Temple Meads to Bristol Parkway via Clifton Down and Henbury. The Metro scheme was given the go-ahead in July 2012 as part of the City Deal, whereby local councils would be given greater control over money by the government.
- White, James (13 March 2009). "Item 04: Greater Bristol Metro" (PDF). West of England Partnership. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- "Campaign for trains from Bristol Temple Meads every half-hour". This is Bristol. Northcliffe Media. 17 January 2012. Retrieved 19 January 2012.
- "Transport Minister hears calls for better Bristol train service". This is Bristol. Northcliffe Media. 17 October 2009. Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- "Our Case". Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Ribbeck, Michael (6 July 2012). "£100 million Bristol Metro train network by 2016". The Post, Bristol. Northcliffe Media. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
|This article about a railway station in South West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|