Chartbeat is a technology company that provides data and analytics to global publishers. The company was started in 2009 and is headquartered in New York City, US. The software as a service (SaaS) company integrates code into the websites of publishers, media companies and news organizations to track users in order to monetize audience engagement and loyalty metrics so they can make decisions about the content to publish and promote on their Web sites. In August 2010, the company was spun off from Betaworks as a separate entity. Chartbeat has been both praised and criticized as an alternative to Google Analytics for real-time data.
Betaworks launched Chartbeat in April 2009 as a real-time web analytics tool that, it said, publishers could use to react quickly to changes in user behavior. At the time, Google Analytics did not offer real-time data. The launch of Chartbeat was part of a broader strategy by Betaworks to capitalize on the growth of the real-time, stream-based, social web. Betaworks had also invested in Twitter, Tumblr, bit.ly, and TweetDeck.
In July 2011, Chartbeat launched Newsbeat, a version of their service for news sites.
In February 2016, founding CEO Tony Haile resigned from the company after seven years as CEO. Long time COO John Saroff was named as his successor.
- Haile, Tony (March 9, 2014). "What You Think You Know About the Web Is Wrong". Time Magazine. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Schonfeld, Erick (August 31, 2010). "Chartbeat Raises $3 Million From Index, Conway, Sacca, Clavier, Lerer, And Dixon". Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- O'Dell, Josie (August 31, 2010). "Real-Time Analytics Provider Chartbeat Raises $3M from All-Star Investors". Mashable. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- Ha, Anthony (August 31, 2010). "Website analytics superstar Chartbeat raises $3M". VentureBeat. Retrieved January 18, 2015.
- Gustav, Dave (February 19, 2013). "Should I Believe Chartbeat's Data?". Archived from the original on January 18, 2015. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "Chartbeat vs Google Analytics". TrustRadius. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- Angeles, Sara (March 19, 2014). "3 Google Analytics Alternatives (and Why You Should Use Them)". Business News Daily. Archived from the original on January 18, 2015. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- Schonfeld, Erick (April 2, 2009). "Betaworks Launches Chartbeat To Track Who Is Paying Attention To Your Website Right Now". TechCrunch. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Schonfeld, Erick (May 17, 2009). "Jump Into The Stream". Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Arrington, Michael (June 11, 2009). "Betaworks Email To Investors: Read It Here". TechCrunch. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Schonfeld, Erick (July 28, 2011). "Newsbeat Measures The Pulse Of News Sites". TechCrunch. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "Chartbeat CEO Tony Haile Resigns, Says He's Looking For a New Challenge". Fortune. Retrieved 2016-02-29.
- "Q&A: The Data Science and Design Behind Our New Look". Chartbeat Blog. 2017-10-03. Retrieved 2019-05-09.
- "A Chartbeat Evolution". Chartbeat Blog. 2017-10-03. Retrieved 2019-05-09.