Chartered Institute of Linguists
|Predecessor||Institute of Linguists|
|Legal status||Chartered institute|
|Prince Michael of Kent|
|Richard Hardie HonFCIL|
|Karen Stokes FCIL Chartered Linguist|
Founded in 1910, the Chartered Institute of Linguists (CIOL) received its Royal Charter in 2005, and is a professional association for language professionals. CIOL supports linguists throughout their careers, and promotes proficiency in modern languages worldwide.
Professional grades of membership are: Associate (ACIL), Member (MCIL) and Fellow (FCIL); three pre-professional grades are: Student Affiliate, IoLET Affiliate and Career Affiliate.
As a Chartered body, CIOL holds the register of Chartered Linguists in the public interest, a source of qualified, practising and experienced professional linguists. Members and Fellows may apply to be on the Chartered Linguist register if they fulfil the required criteria.
Some notable living Fellows and Honorary Fellows
- Tim Connell (FCIL)
- Baroness Coussins (Hon FCIL)
- David Crystal (Hon FCIL)
- Andrew Dalby (Hon FCIL)
- John Gillespie
- Ivor Roberts
- Peter Sutton
- Diana Wallis MEP (Hon FCIL)
- Michael Worton (Hon FCIL)
- Wenhui Zhong
- Stephen Hagen (HonFIL)
The CIOL's associated charity IoL Educational Trust is a language assessment and regulated awarding body. Among other things, the qualifications are useful for court and police interpreting. These are:
- Certificate in Bilingual Skills (CBS) – A level equivalent for practical bilingual skills
- Diploma in Public Service Interpreting (DPSI) – QCF Level 6; typically required for court interpreting
- Diploma in Translation (DipTrans) – QCF Level 7 – the gold standard qualification for working as a translator
- Diploma in Police Interpreting (DPI) – QCF Level 6 – interpreting for the police throughout the UK
- Certificate in Languages for Business (CLB) – QCF Level 2 – a qualification which reflects the practical application of foreign languages in the workplace
- The Linguist – Magazine of the Chartered Institute of Linguists
- List of UK interpreting and translation associations
- "Royal Charter 2005" (PDF). Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "About Us: www.ciol.org.uk". Chartered Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Tim Connell".www.gresham.ac.uk
- "Michael John Worton: CV". University College London. Archived from the original on 30 May 2011. Retrieved 1 April 2011.
- "Examinations: www.ciol.org.uk". Chartered Institute of Linguists. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- Charity Commission. IoL Educational Trust, registered charity no. 1090263.
- Chartered Institute of Linguists