Chartered Institute of Marketing
CIM's current corporate logo
|Predecessor||Sales Managers' Association (ISMA)|
|Formation||16 May 1911|
|Legal status||Chartered body|
|Headquarters||Moor Hall, Cookham, Maidenhead, Berkshire, United Kingdom|
|Member's designations||ACIM, FCIM and MCIM|
The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM) is a United Kingdom-based professional body offering training and qualification in Marketing and related subjects, focused on Marketing and Sales for business; together with ongoing support for members.
CIM is the British qualified professional association for Marketers in the UK. Its particular emphasis is on developing the Marketing and Sales profession within the UK and worldwide. CIM is the largest Professional Marketing body in the world, with more than 35,000 members and students across the world. CIM exists to develop both the marketing and sales professions, maintain professional standards and improve the skills of marketing and sales practitioners. It does this by providing membership, qualifications and training to marketing and sales professionals and businesses around the world.
CIM was founded as the Sales Managers' Association in 1911. In 1921 it was incorporated as ISMA, and in 1928 it held its first professional exams. In October 1936 it applied for a royal charter,. In 1960 ISMA changed its name to the Institute of Marketing and Sales Management, and in 1968 it became the Institute of Marketing. Since being granted the authority to award Chartered Marketer status by The Queen's Privy Council in 1998, CIM has been awarding Chartered status. The organization was awarded charitable status in 2001, but this was removed in 2004. The separate Chartered Institute Of Marketing Benevolent Fund is a registered charity.
CIM has three grades of membership:
- Associate – designated by the letters ACIM
- Fellow – designated by the letters FCIM
- Member - designated by the letters MCIM
To become a Chartered Marketer, a candidate must have:
- 35 hours of continuous professional development (CPD) activity annually for a minimum of two consecutive years.
- passed the institute's 12 qualifying examinations, including integrated case study exams under 2015 syllabus
The CIM Marketing Excellence Awards recognise marketing programs.
- , CIM our-story, 1 May 2015
- The London Gazette: . 27 October 1936.
- "History". cim.co.uk. 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "The Chartered Institute of Marketing". postgrad.com. 2015. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Simms, Jane (25 March 2004). "What next for the CIM?". Brand Republic News. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- Smith, Craig (17 March 2004). "Peter Fisk stands down from CIM chief executive post". Marketing Magazine. Retrieved 2 February 2015.
- "CIM struck off Charity Commission's register". Marketing Week. 21 October 2004. Retrieved 2 February 2015. (subscription required (. ))
- "Introductory Certificate in Marketing". The Chartered Institute of Marketing. Retrieved 25 February 2013.