Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS), until 8 October 2014 the "Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply", is a United Kingdom-based global professional body working for the purchasing and supply professions. With an objective of "leading excellence in procurement and supply", it aims to promote good practice and provides services for the benefit of a procurement community of 118,000 members.
CIPS aims to promote and develop high standards of professional skill, ability, and integrity among all those engaged in purchasing and supply chain management. Its headquarters are located in Easton on the Hill, just inside Northamptonshire, near Stamford, Lincolnshire.
Members of CIPS are required to uphold the CIPS Code of Conduct, which requires members to:
- Enhance and protect the standing of the profession
- Maintain the highest standard of integrity in all business relationships
- Promote the eradication of unethical business practices
- Enhance the proficiency and stature of the profession
- Ensure full compliance with laws and regulations.
Members are represented within CIPS through Congress. In the UK, CIPS seeks to work with the procurement profession in the public sector and signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the UK Government's Cabinet Office on 28 May 2012 seeking to "[cement] closer working and enhancing Government purchasing capability". CIPS is also partnered with the US Institute of Supply Management (ISM). CIPS works to promote understanding of procurement as a "career of choice" and to help people interested in procurement enter the profession. The CIPS Foundation supports students who struggle to get into and further their development in the profession.
Professional Certification Programmes
The professional qualifications programs include:
- Professional diploma in procurement and supply (CIPS level 6)
- Advanced diploma in procurement and supply (CIPS level 5)
- Diploma in procurement and supply (CIPS level 4)
- Advanced certificate in procurement and supply operations (CIPS level 3)
- Certificate in procurement and supply operations (CIPS level 2).
Upon completion of the professional diploma and with sufficient procurement experience, candidates can acquire full membership (MCIPS). Before acceding to full membership, students hold associate member status (ACIPS). Higher status may also be achieved through recommendation and achievement in the form of a fellowship (FCIPS).
The program was redesigned and modified in 2013 and again in 2018 to incorporate the latest developments in the procurement profession. The exam format for Levels 2 and 3 is based on objective response (multiple choice) questions. The exam format for Levels 4 to 6 is based on 3 hour written theory exam format. Under the 2013 format one Level 3 module was also assessed by written exam.
CIPS has developed a competency framework for staff at all levels of skill development and responsibility in the field of procurement and supply management known as the Global Standard for Procurement and Supply. The standard's third edition was published in 2017.
- CIPS Australasia 
- CIPS Hong Kong Branch 
- CIPS Middle East and North Africa. In the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, CIPS has branches in Abu Dhabi and Dubai, Egypt[permanent dead link] and Qatar[permanent dead link].
- HM’s Privy Council agrees changes to CIPS Charter, 11 November 2014, accessed 11 October 2017; cf. Privy Council Office, Chartered Bodies
- CIPS, Annual Report & Accounts 2016, accessed 6 May 2018
- CIPS Code of Conduct, accessed 29 February 2016
- CIPS, CIPS signs MoU with UK Government's Cabinet Office[permanent dead link], 28 May 2012, accessed 11 August 2016
- Be a Buyer! Website, accessed 12 August 2016
- CIPS Foundation, accessed 11 August 2016
- CIPS, Qualifications
- CIPS, Qualifications Review 2018, accessed 18 September 2018
- CIPS, Objective Response: Exams Guidance, accessed 5 June 2019
- CIPS, Introducing: The Global Standard for Procurement and Supply Version 3.0 – Published 2017, accessed 20 March 2020
- Chartered Institute of Purchasing and Supply Australia
- "CIPS Hong Kong Branch". Archived from the original on 2016-08-28. Retrieved 2016-08-11.
- Sam Achampong to head CIPS MENA operations, 8 June 2015, accessed 14 November 2016