|Born||citation needed]28 October 1962 [|
|Education||B.Com (Lady Shri Ram College) & MBA (Thunderbird School of Global Management)|
|Occupation||Vice Chairperson and CEO (MAII) & Executive Director (Modi Enterprises and Indofil Industries)|
|Children||Priyal Bhartia and Ashrant Bhartia|
Charu Modi is an Indian entrepreneur and the promoter and shareholder of the K.K. Modi group. She is the granddaughter of the late Rai Bahadur Gujarmal Modi and the daughter of Krishan Kumar Modi and Bina Modi. Modi is the founder and CEO of the over a decade old, Modi Academic International Institute (MAII) — an educational institute which provides students an opportunity to study internationally accredited courses on Indian campuses. Modi is also the elder sister of Lalit Modi, the former Indian cricket administrator and the founder of the highly-successful Indian Premier League (IPL) and Samir Modi, who manages the Modi Group's retail, network marketing and cosmetics ventures.
Born in New Delhi, Modi went to St. Mary’s Convent in Nainital and completed her bachelor's degree in commerce from Lady Shri Ram College in the Indian capital. In 1996, at the age of 33, she decided to further her academic experience. Modi completed an MBA from the Thunderbird School of Global Management in Arizona and then worked for Kaiser Permanente and Estee Lauder in the United States for a further three years.
Armed with her MBA, she entered the world of business in USA after she noticed considerable human resource deficiencies in critical areas of business during her professional stint with Kaiser Permanente. In 2002, the K.K. Modi Group in partnership with Apollo International brought American education to India with the launch of an offshore campus of Western International University in New Delhi. In 2009, Charu Modi began running Stratford University running courses to learning sites of Modi Academic International Institute (MAII). Thus, becoming the first institution providing USA accredited programmes in India. Apart from her pursuits in the higher education sector, Modi is the founder and promoter of Modi Healthcare Placement— a nurse recruitment organisation dealing in servicing healthcare needs in USA. As the eldest daughter of Krishan Kumar and Bina Modi, Charu Modi also holds the position of Executive Director at Modi Enterprises and Indofil Industries.
In March 2015, Charu Modi along with father Krishan Kumar Modi laid the foundation stone for the K.K. Modi University located at Mahmara in Chhattisgarh. Charu Modi will be the Vice Chancellor of the University, which will provide students an opportunity to explore dual degree programs in the fields of engineering, technology, agro sciences, healthcare, and management. The first academic session is expected to start from the academic session 2016-17.
- Roy, Shubhrangshu (27 Aug 2002). "MrModi: Gloss is gone, loss is yours". The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "First US varsity sets foot in India". The Tribune. 12 November 2002. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Bhattacharya, Debaashis (19 April 2009). "Who's this man?". The Telegraph. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Modi empire may be sold: K K Modi". The Financial Express. 27 Apr 2010. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "'Business Is Not Only About Making Money'". The Financial Express. 28 January 2014. Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- Roy, Shubhrangshu (14 Feb 2003). "Every Modi is looking for somethin'..." The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "Modi-Apollo JV to set up Western campus here". The Economic Times. 22 October 2002. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- "Modi Apollo International Institute & Western International University to provide MBA programs for working professionals". MBA Universe. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- Chen, Jeff (7 October 2009). "Stratford University Opens Campus in India". Epoch Times. Retrieved 29 January 2014.
- "Stratford University to set up campus in India". The Indian Express. 14 Oct 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "'Business Is Not Only About Making Money'". The Financial Express. 28 January 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "KK Modi gets Behuria for professional consolidation". Business Standard. 28 January 2014. Retrieved 28 January 2014.
- "K K Modi Group commissions University in Chhattisgarh". www.business-standard.com. Business Standard. Retrieved 18 April 2015.
- "K.K. Modi University launched with a Mission to create 100% Employable Student and Nation Building Entrepreneurs". indiaeducationdiary.in. India Education Diary. Retrieved 18 April 2015.