|Died||29 March 2016 (aged 51)|
New Delhi, India
|Residence||New Delhi, India|
|Alma mater||Delhi University, Cambridge University|
|Awards||Shanti Swaroop Bhatnagar Award (2009)|
|Fields||Chemistry, Chemical Physics, Theoretical & Computational Chemistry|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi|
|Doctoral advisor||David Clary|
Charusita Chakravarty (5 May 1964 – 29 March 2016) was an Indian academic and scientist. She was a professor of chemistry at the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi since 1999. In 2009 she was conferred Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in the field of chemical science. In 1999, she received B.M. Birla Science Award. She was an Associate Member of the Centre for Computational Material Science, Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bangalore.
Chakravarty has been working in the following fields—
- Theoretical chemistry and chemical physics
- Classical and quantum Monte Carlo
- Molecular dynamics
- Structure and Dynamics of Liquids
- Water and hydration
Personal life and education
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Chakravarty was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA. She did her B.Sc. Chemistry program from St. Stephen's College, University of Delhi. She then went to Cambridge University to do her last two years of Natural Science Tripos. She did her Ph.D. from Cambridge in quantum scattering and spectroscopy with David Clary.
Here is a list of selected publications and collaborative research works where Chakravarty has worked—
- Agarwal, M., Singh, M., Jabes, S. B., and Charusita Chakravarty, Excess entropy scaling of transport properties in network-forming ionic melts (SiO2 and BeF2). J. Chem. Phys. 2011, 134, 014502
- Sharma, R., Agarwal, M. and Charusita, C. Estimating the entropy of liquids from atom-atom radial distribution functions: silica, beryllium fluoride and water. Mol. Phys. 2008, 106, 1925.
- Agarwal, M. and Chakravarty, C. Waterlike structural and excess entropy anomalies in liquid beryllium fluoride. J. Phys. Chem. B, 2007, 111, 13294.
- Sharma, R., Nath, Chakraborty, S. N. and Charusita C. Entropy, Diffusivity and Structural Order in Liquids with Water-like Anomalies. J. Chem. Phys. 2006, 125, 204501.
- Mudi, A.; Chakravarty,C. Multiple Time-scale Behaviour of the Hydrogen Bond Network in Water. J. Phys. Chem. B, 2004, 108, 19607.
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology (2009)
- B.M. Birla Science Award (1999)
- Indian National Science Academy Medal for Young Scientists (1996)
- Anil Kumar Bose Memorial Award of Indian National Science Academy (1999)
- Fellowship of Indian Academy of Sciences (2006)
- Fellowship of the Department of Science and Technology (India) (2004)
- "Fellow Profile - Chakravarty, Prof. Charusita". Ias.ac.in. Bangalore. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- "Elixir of Life: Charusita Chakravarty". India Today. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "Charusita Chakravarty IIT Delhi profile". IIT Delhi. Archived from the original on 25 February 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "CCMS". Jncasr.ac.in.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 March 2017. Retrieved 29 March 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "INSA Medal Recipients For YOUNG SCIENTISTS". Insaindia.org. 19 September 2015.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 12 September 2013. Retrieved 4 August 2013.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Autobiographical article by Charusita Chakravarty in Lilavati's Daughters
- "Profile of Top 25 scientists in India". India Today. 11 September 2011. Retrieved 17 January 2018.