Chase (Chase album)
|Studio album by Chase|
|Producer||Frank Rand, Bob Destocki|
Bill Chase was already a well-established lead trumpet player when he decided to form his own band. He recruited three other veteran trumpet players and vocalist Terry Richards, backed them with a rock rhythm section, and created a band which merged both jazz and rock styles. The album was recorded in Chicago in November and early December 1970 and released in April 1971.
The single "Get It On" spent thirteen weeks on the Billboard Hot 100 chart starting in May 1971. This success drove album sales to more than 400,000 units - unusually high for a jazz artist. The album charted for a total of 26 weeks, peaking at #22.
This album, together with the 1974 "Pure Music" album, was reissued on the Super Audio CD format in September 2018 by UK label Dutton Vocalion, Remastered in both Stereo and Surround Sound from the original analogue tapes by Michael J. Dutton and released as a 2-fer with the "Pure Music" album. The Surround Sound portion of the disc features the Quadraphonic mixes for both the "Chase" and "Pure Music" albums, made available for the first time in over 40 years.
- "Open Up Wide" (Bill Chase) – 3:48
- "Livin' In Heat" (B. Hall / R. Turner / M. Walker) – 2:54
- "Hello Groceries" (D. O'Rourke) – 2:56
- "Handbags and Gladrags" (Mike d'Abo) – 3:23
- "Get It On" (B. Chase/Terry Richards) – 2:59
- "Boys and Girls Together" (Jim Peterik) – 2:56
- "Invitation to a River" – 14:13
- "Two Minds Meet" (L. Raub/B. Chase)
- "Stay" (L. Raub/B. Chase)
- "Paint It Sad" (L. Raub/B. Chase)
- "Reflections" (B. Chase)
- "River" (T. Richards/B. Chase)
- Bill Chase - lead & solo trumpet
- Ted Piercefield - trumpet, lead vocal on "Handbags and Gladrags" and "Boys and Girls Together"
- Alan Ware - trumpet
- Jerry Van Blair - trumpet, lead vocal on "Hello Groceries"
- Phil Porter - keyboards
- Dennis Johnson - bass guitar, vocals
- b. Lucian Gondran - guitar, vocals
- b. Jay Mitthauer - percussion
- b. Terrance Richard Marinan - lead vocals except as noted above