The centre of Chasseneuil-du-Poitou
|Intercommunality||CU Grand Poitiers|
|• Mayor (2008–2014)||Claude Eidelstein|
|Area1||17.61 km2 (6.80 sq mi)|
|• Density||260/km2 (670/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||86062 /86360|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
It lies 7 km north of the centre of Poitiers. Its inhabitants are called the Chasseneuillais.
Chasseneuil-du-Poitou is the home of the Parc du Futuroscope, and the Technopole du Futuroscope, making up part of the École nationale supérieure de mécanique et d'aérotechnique de Poitiers (English: Poitiers' National superior school of mechanics and aeronautics).
The economy has largely depended on tourism since the construction 20 years ago of the Futuroscope park, although in addition to this, it is the home of part of the Futuroscope Technopole, which holds 200 high tech businesses, and helps educate 2,000 students. The American company SAFT has a factory in the town, which furnishes a large part of the European battery market.
The town, then simply the villa Cassinogilum, was a royal residence of first the Merovingian, and then Carolingian dynasties in France. Louis the Pious, later King of Aquitaine and King of the Franks was born in the villa on 778, when his mother, Hildegard of Vinzgouw was staying in the villa whilst his father Charlemagne was on campaign in Spain.
The town has a 27-member town council, led by Mayor Claude Eidelstein, and his seven assistant Mayors. The town is part of Vienne's 1st constituency, and is represented in the National Assembly by Alain Claeys (PS).
Places and monuments
- Futuroscope Park
- "La Technopole du Futuroscope" [The Technopole of Futuroscope]. Archived from the original on July 26, 2009. Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- "La biographie de Jean-Pierre Raffarin" [The biography of Jean-Pierre Raffarin] (in French). Government of France.
- "Futuroscope Information L'Enterprise" [Futuroscope information businesses]. Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- Jean Combes, Gilles Bernard (2001), Histoire du Poitou et des pays charentais: Deux-Sèvres, Vienne, Charente, Charente-Maritime (in French), Editions de Borée, p. 548
- "Le Futuroscope soigne son image" [Futuroscope takes care of its image] (in French). Archived from the original on 2009-02-12.
- Charles Auguste Auber (1887), Histoire générale, civile, religieuse et littéraire du Poitou, L.P. Gouraud
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chasseneuil-du-Poitou.|