Chastity Belt (band)
|Origin||Walla Walla, Washington|
|Genres||Alternative rock, rock and roll, noise pop, indie rock, indie pop, pop rock|
Chastity Belt is an American rock band formed in Walla Walla, Washington, in 2010. Consisting of Julia Shapiro, Lydia Lund, Annie Truscott and Gretchen Grimm, the band plays a style of alternative rock, rock and roll, noise pop, and pop rock. The group have released three studio albums: No Regerts (2013), Time to Go Home (2015), and I Used to Spend So Much Time Alone (2017).
They formed in Walla Walla, Washington, during 2010 while studying at Whitman College, with Childbirth front woman Julia Shapiro as their lead vocalist and guitarist, with fellow lead guitarist Lydia Lund, bassist Annie Truscott, and drummer Gretchen Grimm. They take a humorous approach to feminine stereotypes and customs in their lyrics, challenging gender norms and femininity as a construct.
The band commenced as a musical entity in 2013, with the release of No Regerts, a studio album, on August 13, 2013, on Help Yourself Records. Their second studio album, Time to Go Home, was released on March 24, 2015, on Hardly Art. It received a positive reception from music critics. Their third studio album, I Used to Spend So Much Time Alone, was released on June 2, 2017, also on Hardly Art.
- Current members
- Julia Shapiro – lead vocals, guitar
- Lydia Lund – lead guitar
- Annie Truscott – bass
- Gretchen Grimm – drums
- Studio albums
- No Regerts (August 13, 2013, Help Yourself)
- Time to Go Home (March 24, 2015, Hardly Art)
- I Used to Spend So Much Time Alone (June 2, 2017, Hardly Art)
- "For Chastity Belt, it's 'Time to Go Home' – Whitman Wire". Whitman College Pioneer.
- Thomas, Fred. "Chastity Belt : Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- Thomas, Fred. "No Regerts - Chastity Belt : Review". AllMusic. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- Greene, Jayson (August 30, 2013). "Chastity Belt: No Regerts". Pitchfork. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- Thomas, Fred. "Time to Go Home - Chastity Belt : Review". AllMusic. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- Cills, Hazel (March 25, 2015). "Chastity Belt: Time to Go Home". Pitchfork. Retrieved January 8, 2016.
- CBS Interactive. "Critic reviews for Time to Go Home by Chastity Belt". Metacritic. Retrieved January 8, 2016.