|Location||Symmes Township, Hamilton County, Ohio, US|
|Director||Maintained by the KOGT|
Château Laroche, also known as the Loveland Castle, is a museum on the banks of the Little Miami River north of Loveland, Ohio, United States. A folly of a historical European castle, construction began in the 1920s by Boy Scout troop leader, World War I veteran, and medievalist Harry D. Andrews. He built the castle on promotional plots of land that were obtained by paying for one-year subscriptions to The Cincinnati Enquirer. Andrews named his castle after a military hospital in the Chateau La Roche in southwest France where he was stationed during the First World War. Its name means "Rock Castle" in French.
For over fifty years, Andrews worked on his castle project. He pulled stones from the nearby Little Miami River, and when that supply was exhausted, molded bricks with cement and quart milk cartons.
When Andrews died in 1981, he willed the castle to his Boy Scout troop the Knights of the Golden Trail (KOGT). The Castle has been extensively upgraded and renovated in the years since Andrews' death and has been mostly completed by the KOGT. The East tower now houses a short video presentation on Andrews' quest to finish his dream. The walls of the upstairs chapel feature many stones brought back by Andrews in his world travels and others sent to him from foreign locations by his friends and followers. Recently completed are an expansion to the outside gardens and a greenhouse.
Tales of the castle being haunted – often coming from Chateau Laroche's own volunteer knights – have been reported over the years.
- Historic Loveland Castle Museum. "Loveland Castle". Retrieved 2017-08-09. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morris, Jeff (Jun 8, 2009). Haunted Cincinnati and Southwest Ohio. Arcadia Publishing. p. 99. ISBN 9780738560335. Retrieved 2013-05-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Karle, Tina (2010). 120 Waterfall Hikes Around Cincinnati Ohio. Lulu.com. p. 34. ISBN 9780557378647. Retrieved 27 November 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Adams, Ian (Jul 5, 2011). A Photographer's Guide to Ohio. Ohio University Press. p. 158. ISBN 9780821443736. Retrieved 2013-05-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Chateau Laroche, Loveland Castle". 2004-08-29. Retrieved 2007-06-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Loveland Castle". Cincinnati USA. Retrieved 2007-06-26. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Morris, Jeff (2009). Haunted Cincinnati and Southwest Ohio. Arcadia Publishing. p. 99. ISBN 9780738560335. Retrieved 21 November 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chateau Laroche.|