Chatral Sangye Dorje
|Chatral Sangye Dorje|
|Other names||Chatral Rinpoche|
18 June 1913|
|Died||30 December 2015 (aged 102)|
|Children||Tara Devi and Saraswati|
|Part of a series on|
|Tibetan Buddhism portal|
Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche (Tibetan: བྱ་བྲལ་སངས་རྒྱས་རྡོ་རྗེ་, Wylie: bya-bral sangs-rgyas rdo-rje, "Enlightened Indestructible Freedom From Activity"; June 18, 1913 – December 30, 2015) was a Dzogchen master and a reclusive yogi known for his great realization and strict discipline. Rinpoche was one of the few living disciples of Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang and was widely regarded as one of the most highly realized Dzogchen yogis. In addition to his relationship with Khenpo Ngagchung, Chatral Sangye Dorje also studied with some of the last century's most renowned masters, including Dudjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje, Dzongsar Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö, and the famed dakini Kunzang Dekyong Wangmo. Rinpoche was one of the primary lineage holders of the Longchen Nyingthig, and in particular the lineage that descends through Jigme Lingpa's heart son Jigme Gyalwe Nyugu and then on to Patrul Rinpoche.
Rinpoche has shunned institutional and political involvement his whole life, choosing instead to live the life of a wandering yogi. Even in old age he continued to move about, rarely remaining in one place for more than a few months. A lay yogi, he was also greatly concerned with maintaining strict discipline in the context of the Dzogchen view. He has advocated vegetarianism and had a yearly practice of ransoming the lives of thousands of animals in India. In addition to his emphasis on the union of view and conduct, Rinpoche also stressed the practice of retreat. He has established numerous retreat centers throughout the Himalayas, including in Pharping, Yolmo, and Darjeeling.
- Khenpo Ngawang Pelzang (also known as Khenpo Ngaga, Ngawang Palzang)
- Dudjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorje
- Dzongsar Khyentse Chökyi Lodrö (previous incarnation of Dzongsar Jamyang Khyentse Rinpoche)
- Kunzang Dekyong Wangmo 
Though his main lineage was the Longchen Nyingthig, Chatral Sangye Dorje was also closely associated with the Dudjom Tersar lineage. He was empowered as the regent of Dudjom Jigdral Yeshe Dorj and was passing on this lineage to this master's reincarnation, who lives primarily in Central Tibet.
- Chatral Rinpoche (2007). Zach Larson, ed. Compassionate Action. Snow Lion Publications. ISBN 9781559392716.
- Chatral Rinpoche Series by Lotsawa House
- "The great yogi Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche turns today 100years!". News. Ngagyur Shedrub Sungdrelling. 2013-06-18. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- His Holiness Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche
- Chatral Rinpoche and Abstaining From Eating Meat
- Sera Khandro @Rigpa Shedra
- Consorts and revelation in eastern Tibet : the auto/biographical writings of the Treasure revealer Sera Khandro (1892--1940)
- Chatral Rinpoche Series
- A translated biography of Chatral Rinpoche's life story (rnam thar)
- Declaration of Chatral Rinpoche With Regard to Misuse of His Name at April 2007
- Photograph with explanatory text