|Directed by||K. Subash|
|Produced by||Mani Ratnam|
|Written by||A. Varunan |
|Screenplay by||Mani Ratnam|
|Story by||Mani Ratnam|
|Cinematography||Y. N. Murali|
|Distributed by||Aalayam Productions|
Chatriyan (lit. 'The Warrior') is a 1990 Indian Tamil crime-drama film, written and produced by Mani Ratnam. The film was directed by K. Subash, an assistant of Mani Ratnam. The film stars Vijayakanth, Bhanupriya and Thilakan in the lead roles. The film has Vijayakanth playing an honest cop and Thilakan as a corrupt politician in the main villain role. This film ran more than 150 days in some theatres . The film is one of the biggest hit films of the early 90s and has attained cult status. It was also dubbed into Telugu as Kshatriyudu.  The film features a highly acclaimed soundtrack and background score composed by Ilaiyaraaja.
ACP Panneer Selvam aka Sathriyan (Vijayakanth), an honest cop, gathers enough evidence against a local goon named Arumai Nayagam aka Annachi (Thilakan). Annachi is sent to prison. He avenges his arrest by killing Sathriyan's wife Jaya (Revathi). Since then, Sathriyan quits the police force and takes care of his children, renting an apartment owned by V. K. Ramaswamy. Banu (Bhanupriya), the apartment owner's granddaughter, gets introduced to Sathriyan's children and starts mingling with them, eventually falling in love with Sathriyan. Meanwhile, Annachi is released from prison and realizes that he does not carry the same respect as he used to before going to jail. Annachi challenges Sathriyan to join the police and fight him again. Sathriyan initially rejects the offer. Annachi tries to provoke Sathriyan by attacking his home and son. Out of frustration over his son's attack, Sathriyan joins the police and fights Annachi. Sathriyan's fight against Annachi forms the rest of the plot.
- Vijayakanth as ACP Panneer Selvam , a juvenile prisoner who is raised by a short-tempered police officer into an aggressive and ruthless police officer
- Bhanupriya as Banu , a young woman who despite initially being irritated by Selvam falls in love with the latter
- Revathi as Jaya , Selvam's wife who gets killed in a blast meant for him (Guest appearance)
- V. K. Ramasamy as Banu's grandfather and owner of Selvam's house
- Thilakan as Arumai Nayagam (Annachi) , an influential criminal who is humiliated and jailed by Selvam.
- A. V. Ramanan as Police Officer
- Vijayakumar , Selvam's godfather and guardian who raises him after he escapes from the juvenile home to kill those who are responsible for his parents' death
- Delhi Ganesh , Jaya's father
- Kutty Padmini
- Baby Aarthi
- Master Vishnuvardhan as Young Panneer Selvam
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The music was scored by Ilaiyaraaja, with lyrics written by Vaali. Reportedly, the songs of this film were composed in just one and a half hours by Ilaiyaraaja. The song "Maalayil Yaaro" was hugely popular and was set in Suddhadhanyasi raga.
- "Maalayil Yaro Manathodu" - Swarnalatha
- "Pootukkal Pottalum" - S. Janaki
- "Yaaru Pottadhu" - S. Janaki
Chathriyan was released on 17 October 1990 alongside other major releases including Kamal Hassan's Michael Madana Kama Rajan , Sathyaraj's Mallu Vetti Minor , Bhagyaraj's Avasara Police 100 and Murali's Sirayil Sila Raagangal. Vikram's En Kadhal Kanmani, Nizhalgal Ravi's Amman Kovil Thiruvizha, Ramarajan's Pudhupaattu,
Raj Tilak's 60 Naal 60 Nimidham and Murali's Puthiya Kaatru were other minor releases. The film topped the Chennai box office on its opening weekend with ₹12 lakh distributor share.
- "Sathriyan movie Reviews, Trailers, Wallpapers, Songs, Tamil". Apunkachoice.com. Archived from the original on 23 November 2011. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Sathriyan Cast and Crew | Star Cast | Tamil Movie | Sathriyan Actor | Actress | Director | Music | Oneindia.in". Popcorn.oneindia.in. 17 October 1990. Archived from the original on 13 July 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Vijayakanth as Vijayakanth - Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Filmography of chatriyan". Cinesouth.com. 17 October 1990. Retrieved 13 June 2011.
- "Find Tamil Movie Sathriyan, Sathriyan Reviews, Expert Review and Casts". Jointscene.com. 17 October 1990. Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 13 June 2011.