Location in Murray County and the state of Georgia
|• Total||4.7 sq mi (12.3 km2)|
|• Land||4.7 sq mi (12.2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||745 ft (227 m)|
|• Density||751.3/sq mi (287.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0327417|
Chatsworth is a city in Murray County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Dalton, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 3,531 at the 2000 census and 4,299 at the 2010 census. The city is the county seat of Murray County.
According to a popular legend, the town received its name after a road sign with the word "Chatsworth" fell off a passing freight train nearby. Someone put the sign on a post, and the name stuck ¹.
Chatsworth was founded in 1905 as a depot on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad. It was incorporated as a town in 1906 and as a city in 1923. In 1915, the seat of Murray County was transferred to Chatsworth from Spring Place.
Chatsworth is located at  According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 4.7 square miles (12 km2), of which, 4.7 square miles (12 km2) of it is land and 0.04 square miles (0.10 km2) of it (0.42%) is water.(34.772336, -84.778977).
As of the census of 2010, there were 4,299 people, 1,587 households, and 1,071 families residing in the city. The population density was 749.5 people per square mile (289.5/km²). There were 1,546 housing units at an average density of 328.1 per square mile (126.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.1% White, 0.5% African American, 0.1% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.2% Pacific Islander, 0% from other races, and 0% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0% of the population.
Murray County School District
The Murray County School District holds pre-school to grade twelve, and consists of six elementary schools, two middle schools, two high schools, and once had an academy school. The district has 451 full-time teachers and over 7,345 students.
- Jody Ridley - NASCAR driver
- James Vann and Joseph Vann - owners of Chief Vann House
- Brandon Cronan - Professional CSGO Player
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Hellmann, Paul T. (May 13, 2013). Historical Gazetteer of the United States. Routledge. p. 223. Retrieved 30 November 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- Murray County Schools, Retrieved April 09, 2012.
- School Stats, Retrieved June 24, 2010.