Amtrak/Metrolink train platforms
|Location||10046 Old Depot Plaza Road
Chatsworth, California 91311
|Owned by||City of Los Angeles|
|Line(s)||Southern California Regional Rail Authority|
|Platforms||2 side (Amtrak/Metrolink)
1 side platform (Metro Liner)
|Bicycle facilities||16 rack spaces
|Station code||Amtrak code: CWT|
|Opened||December 29, 1982 (CalTrain)
June 30, 2012 (Metro)
|Passengers (2015)||72,132 11% (Amtrak)|
Chatsworth Transportation Center, identified as "Chatsworth" on station signs, is an Intermodal passenger transport station in the Los Angeles community of Chatsworth, California. It is a train station for Amtrak and Metrolink. The station includes a passenger waiting area and a small railroad museum. There is no Amtrak ticket office.
It is served by both Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner from San Luis Obispo to San Diego and Metrolink's Ventura County Line from Los Angeles Union Station to East Ventura. 10 Pacific Surfliner trains serve the station daily and 20 Metrolink trains serve the station each weekday. It is a bus rapid transit station for the Metro Orange Line. The Metro Orange Line Chatsworth Extension terminates at this station. The extension began service on June 30, 2012.
Of the 73 California stations served by Amtrak, Chatsworth was the 32nd-busiest in FY2010, boarding or detraining an average of approximately 140 passengers daily.
Platforms and tracks
|Northbound||■ Pacific Surfliner||toward San Luis Obispo (Simi Valley)|
|■ Ventura County Line||toward East Ventura (Simi Valley)|
|■ Coast Starlight||No stops|
|Southbound||■ Pacific Surfliner||toward San Diego-Union Station (Van Nuys)|
|■ Ventura County Line||toward L.A. Union Station (Northridge)|
|■ Coast Starlight||No stops|
- Metro Liner
|■ Orange Line||toward North Hollywood or Warner Center (Nordhoff)|
The site originally was home to several Southern Pacific railroad stations; the last had been demolished by Southern Pacific in 1962. The station opened as an infill station on the short-lived CalTrain line on December 29, 1982, only to close just over two months later. The current station building was constructed in 1996. A station platform has existed since 1992.
2008 Chatsworth train collision
On September 12, 2008, a westbound Metrolink Ventura County Line train was involved in the 2008 Chatsworth train collision after it had departed this station. It collided head-on with a Union Pacific freight train in Chatsworth.
2012 Orange Line Chatsworth extension
The 4 mile (6.4 km) Orange Line extension runs from Canoga Station north to the Chatsworth Metrolink Station, for the Los Angeles County Metro Liner system. The northwestern Orange Line terminus and transfer connections is at the station. There's currently a shuttle operating between Warner Center station and Chatsworth Metro Orange Line Station during weekday peaks.
- Metro Local: 158, 166, 167, 244, 245, 364
- City of Santa Clarita Transit: 791
- LADOT Commuter Express: 419
- Simi Valley Transit: C
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2015, State of California" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2015. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Train Web: Chatsworth".
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, FY2010, State of California" (PDF). Amtrak. November 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-06.
- Great American Stations Accessed January 30, 2013.
- "Los Angeles Times coverage of the Metrolink accident".
Media related to Chatsworth Station at Wikimedia Commons
- Amtrak California Station Info Page
- Metrolink – Chatsworth
- Chatsworth Station Photos
- LA Metro Orange Line — Chatsworth Extension - project website
- Revitalizing America's Train Stations - Chatsworth (Amtrak)
- Chatsworth Park Railroad Station, 1893, CSUN Oviatt Library Digital Archives
- Chatsworth (2nd) Depot 1950's, CSUN Oviatt Library Digital Archives
- Chatsworth(CWT)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)