Chatur Singh Two Star
|Chatur Singh Two Star|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ajay Chandhok|
|Produced by||Mohammad Aslam|
|Screenplay by||Rumi Jaffery|
|Story by||Rumi Jaffery
|Edited by||Nitin Rokade|
|Distributed by||Pen India Pvt. Ltd.
|Budget||₹250 million (US$3.9 million)|
Chatur Singh Two Star is a 2011 Bollywood action comedy film, directed by Ajay Chandhok, starring Sanjay Dutt, Ameesha Patel and Suresh Menon in the lead roles. Produced by Mohammad Aslam and Parag Sanghvi. It was released on 19 August 2011. The film is based on the novel Chalaak Jasoos and the 2006 Hollywood film, The Pink Panther.
The film was a critical and commercial failure as it received negative reception from both critics and cinema-goers.
Bumbling cop Chatur Singh (Sanjay Dutt) is sent on a special mission to South Africa to solve a high-profile case involving the murder of a politician and a cache of diamonds. But before he can redeem his botched-up career he must deal with a bunch of loonies which includes a crazy mafia don (Satish Kaushik), a weird taxi driver (Sanjai Mishra), a hysterical boss (Anupam Kher), and a pretty damsel in distress (Ameesha Patel).
- Sanjay Dutt as Chatur Singh 2 Star / James Armani
- Ameesha Patel as Sonia Varma
- Suresh Menon as Purushutam Singh (Pappu Panther)
- Anupam Kher as Commissioner Rajpal Sinha / Dr Jhatka
- Vishwajeet Pradhan as DGP Kulkarni
- Satish Kaushik as Gullu Gulfam
- Shakti Kapoor as Don Chihuhua
- Gulshan Grover as Agriculture Minister Y.Y. Singh
- Sanjay Mishra as Lallan Kupleri
- Murli Sharma as Tony
- Rati Agnihotri as Savitri Y. Singh
- Indira Krishnan as Sonia's Sister
- Ganesh Yadav as Inspector Yadav
The film was announced in late 2007 with Sanjay Dutt cast for the role of Chatur Singh. During June 2008, filming began in India and the following schedule was filmed in Cape Town, South Africa during July and August in the same year. In 2009, some of the remaining portions were completed and the film moved to its post-production stage in early 2010.
The theatrical trailer of the film was released on 21 July 2011 online and also in cinemas with Singham (2011).
Most critics were dismissive. Vandana Krishnan of Behindwoods rated it as 0.5 out of 5 and said "Chathur Singh 2 star is not even worth half a star." Rajeev Masand of CNN-IBN gave it one star out of five saying that it is "Strictly avoidable. Unless you're one for self-punishment." Saibal Chatterjee of NDTV gave it zero stars and said "This is a film that proffers madness without the slightest semblance of method. It’s just as well that there are two stars in its title. It doesn’t deserve any." Shubhra Gupta of The Indian Express gave the film one star concluding "There is no story in 'Chatur Singh, Two Star’. And the only story to 'Chatur Singh, Two Star’ seems to one of delusion : that the people involved in it, were making a film." Taran Adarsh of Bollywood Hungama awarded one and a half stars saying "Chatur Singh Two Star tries hard to make you laugh, but fails in its endeavour." Rediff.com gave it zero stars, too. Nupur Barua of fullhyd.com called it a sorry excuse of a movie, warning "you may get suicidal at the end of it".
Chatur Singh Two Star earned 30 million in its full theatrical run. The film grossed 130 million worldwide. It was declared a flop.
|Chatur Singh Two Star|
|Soundtrack album by Sajid-Wajid|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
The film's soundtrack is composed by Sajid-Wajid with lyrics penned by Jalees Sherwani, Shabbir Ahmed, Junaid Wasi, Asif Ali Baig. The soundtrack was released to YouTube's official channel on 29 July 2011.
|1.||"Chandni Chowk Se"||Sajid-Wajid, Hard Kaur||04:18|
|2.||"Ishqan Da Ishqan Da"||Sonu Nigam, Shweta Pandit||04:20|
|3.||"Jungle Ki Heerni Hoon"||Sunidhi Chauhan||04:40|
|4.||"Murga Anda Dega"||Sanjay Dutt, Suzanne D'Mello||04:35|
|5.||"Singh Singh Singh"||Sanjay Dutt, Wajid, Khurram Iqbal, Asif Ali Baig||04:10|
|6.||"Jungle Ki Heerni Hoon — Remix"||Sunidhi Chauhan||04:30|
|7.||"Singh Singh Singh — Remix"||Sanjay Dutt, Wajid, Khurram Iqbal, Asif Ali Baig||04:20|
- "Sanjay promises fun as clumsy cop with 'Chatur Singh...' (IANS Preview)". Andhravilas.com. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- "Chatur Singh Two Star: Cast and crew details". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- Jain, Priyanka (5 August 2011). "Sanjay croons for Chatur Singh Two Star". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 20 August 2011.
- Kazmi, Nikhat (19 August 2011). "Chatur Singh Two Star - The Times of India". The Times Of India.
- Lance, Praveen (16 October 2007). "First Look of Sanjay Dutt-starrer Chatur Singh-Two Star". Indiatimes. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Ameesha's back with a bang?". timesofindia.com. 16 June 2008. Retrieved 16 June 2008.
- "Sanjay Dutt's Chatur Singh Two Star kick starts". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 20 June 2008.
- Tuteja, Joginder (19 April 2010). "The real status of Sanjay Dutt's pending films". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 19 April 2010.
- "Chatur Sing Two Star Movie Review". Behindwoods. Retrieved August 2011. Check date values in:
- Masand, Rajeev (20 August 2011). "Masand: 'Chatur Singh Two Star' strictly avoidable". CNN-IBN. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Saibal Chatterjee (19 August 2011). "Chatur Singh Two Star Review". NDTV. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Gupta, Shubhra (20 August 2011). "Chatur Singh, Two Star". Indian Express. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Adarsh, Taran (19 August 2011). "Chatur Singh Two Star: Movie Review". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Ankur Pathak (19 August 2011). "Chatur Singh Two Star Review". Rediff.com. Retrieved 2011-08-20.
- Nupur Barua (19 August 2011). "Chatur Singh Two Star Movie Review". fullhyd.com..
- "Sanjay Dutt sings for Chatur Singh Two Star". thaindian.com. Retrieved 23 March 2009.