Chaudhary Charan Singh University
Motto in English
|Where that supreme treasure of Truth resides|
|Chancellor||Governor of Uttar Pradesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Narendra Kumar Taneja|
|Registrar||Deep Chand (IAS officer)|
|Location||Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India|
Chaudhary Charan Singh University 9650073658 (CCS University), formerly Meerut University, is a public state university located in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh, India. The university was established in 1965. It was later renamed to its current name after Chaudhary Charan Singh, former Prime minister of India. The university celebrated its silver jubilee in 1991.
Narendra Kumar Taneja is the current vice-chancellor of the university.
The university started as Meerut University later named after Chaudhary Charan singh (Former Prime minister of India). the university having various schools of studies viz. sciences, Humanities and Social Sciences, and Engineering. M.Phil and Ph.D. programmes were started in 1969. In 1973, Post Graduate level courses were also introduced with the modernized syllabi.
There are five faculties with 22 UGC sponsored and 35 self-financed/job oriented courses being run in the campus. A distinct feature of the academic program is the semester system.
Library was established in 1968 to serve the academic community of the university in particular and this region of the state in general. In 1969, the library was temporarily moved in L.L.R.M Medical College Campus. A few buildings were built in 1970 at the university campus and the library was housed in room No. 106 on the ground floor of the Institute of Advanced Studies. Construction of the library was started in 1970 and it was formally declared open by the first Chancellor, Dr Gopal Reddy on 11 January 1972. The shoebox type library building is designed on modular pattern. It provides 2655.38 sq. meters of floor area spread over four floors. The Library is now known as Raja Mahendra Pratap Library.
The University has many degree colleges affiliated to it. They fall in two divisions: Meerut and Saharanpur with nine districts including Bagpat, Bulandshahr, Gautam Budh Nagar, Ghaziabad, Hapur, Meerut, Muzaffarnagar, Saharanpur and Shamli.
- Mayawati, Indian politician
- K. C. Tyagi, Indian politician
- Kamal Davar, Indian Army officer, first Director General of the Defence Intelligence Agency
- Arun Govil, film actor
- Deepti Bhatnagar, actress and model
- Yuvika Chaudhary, actress
- Jai Verma, Nottingham-based poet and Hindi language/culture advocate
- "Chaudhary Charan Singh University - About Us". Archived from the original on 21 July 2011. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "UPTU, Chaudhary Charan Singh University get new VCs". Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Ms. Mayawati, Chief Minister, Uttar Pradesh, Life History: At A Glance (Official Profile of Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh)". upgov.nic.in. Government of Uttar Pradesh. 16 July 2009. Archived from the original on 8 June 2008. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
- "K.C. Tyagi Indian Parliament Profile". National Portal of India. Retrieved 26 December 2017.
|This article about a university or college in Uttar Pradesh, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|