|• Mayor (2001–2008)||Thierry Lineatte|
|Area1||8.46 km2 (3.27 sq mi)|
|• Density||230/km2 (590/sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||80186 / 80320|
|Elevation||80–104 m (262–341 ft)
(avg. 94 m or 308 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (July 2010)|
|From the year 1962 on: No double counting—residents of multiple communes (e.g. students and military personnel) are counted only once.|
Chaulnes is noted for its cultural events, especially the heavy metal music festival Chaulnes Metal Fest (previously kwon as Killer Fest before 2008). Each year, more than 500 fans turn up to see and listen to bands like Obituary, Sodom, Rage or Nashville Pussy.
- Charles François Lhomond, grammarian and wit, born at Chaulnes 1727, died in Paris 1794.
- The duchy of Chaulnes was established in 1621 for the Albert family.
Places and monuments
- The statue of grammarian Lhomond, sculpted by Eugène-Louis Lequesne, in 1860, paid for by public subscription..
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chaulnes.|
- Chaulnes on the website of l'Institut géographique national
- L'histoire Chaulnes (plain text)
- Chaulnes on the website of Quid
- Chaulnes on a French map
- Chaulnes on Mapquest
|This Somme geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|