Lin with the Boston Red Sox in 2012
|Fubon Guardians – No. 1|
|Born: September 21, 1988|
Hualien County, Taiwan
|MLB: April 14, 2012, for the Boston Red Sox|
|CPBL: August 14, 2015, for the EDA Rhinos|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2012 season)
Che-hsuan Lin [Chay shoo-ahn Lin] (Chinese: 林哲瑄; pinyin: Lín Zhéxuān; born September 21, 1988) is a Taiwanese professional baseball outfielder who is playing for the Fubon Guardians of the Chinese Professional Baseball League. He played in Major League Baseball with the Boston Red Sox in 2012.
Lin was born in Hualien County, Taiwan. He helped his 12-and-under Bronco League team to the World Championship with a grand slam. He also has played with other Taiwan national teams, including the Junior World Championship squad in 2007.
Lin was acquired by the Boston Red Sox as an international free agent in June 2007. He has put up solid numbers since joining the professional baseball ranks in the United States the same year, being rated as having the best outfield arm in the Boston minor league system, according to Baseball America. In 2010, Lin was selected as having the best strike-zone discipline, and the best defensive outfielder in Red Sox Top 10 Propspect Scouting Report . Basically a line-drive hitter, he makes good contact – quick, strong wrists – with average gap power, hitting well to all fields. Lin has also been recognized for his solid outfield skills, having good range, enough speed and a hard throwing arm.
Lin played for the GCL Red Sox, Lowell Spinners of the New York–Penn League, Greenville Drive of the South Atlantic League, and Portland Sea Dogs in the Eastern League. He played for the Triple A Pawtucket Red Sox in the International League.
In 2008, Lin was selected for the annual All-Star Futures Game. Lin hit a two-run home run on the first pitch he saw that helped the World team beat the US Team, 3–0. He finished 2-for-2 and was named the game's Most Valuable Player.
In 2008, Lin ranked eighth in the Boston Red Sox prospects list. He also was selected to play in the Olympics for the Chinese Taipei baseball team. He was invited to spring training with the Boston Red Sox in 2010 and 2011.
In 2011, Lin was promoted to Triple-A and played with the Pawtucket Red Sox. To protect him from the Rule 5 draft, he was added to the 40-man roster on November 18, 2011 along with Drake Britton and Will Middlebrooks.
On April 14, 2012, Lin was called up to replace the injured Jacoby Ellsbury. His 9th-inning appearance as a defensive replacement on April 14 made him the eighth player from Taiwan to play in a Major League Baseball game. He was optioned back to Pawtucket after the game. Lin rejoined the Red Sox on May 20 to provide depth in the outfield, with injuries to Cody Ross, Ryan Sweeney and five others on the disabled list. On May 21, Lin recorded his first major league hit off Baltimore Orioles pitcher Troy Patton.
On October 17, 2012, the Red Sox announced that Lin was designated for assignment to make room for right-handed pitcher Sandy Rosario on the Sox's 40-man roster. On October 26, 2012, Lin was claimed off waivers by the Houston Astros.
After being released by the Rangers, Lin stated that he would no longer be playing baseball in North America.
- Boston Red Sox prospects players of the week (July 15–21, 2007)
- Boston Red Sox minor leagues defensive player of the month (June 2008)
- 2008 Futures Game World Team All Star
- 2008 Futures Game World Team MVP
- "Red Sox sign top draft pick". ESPN. 5 July 2007. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Red Sox prospect Lin powers World team to Futures Game victory". ESPN. 14 July 2008. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- Shpigel, Ben; Curry, Jack (14 July 2008). "Prospects Are Mindful of Olympics' Approach". The New York Times. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Red Sox Transactions April 2012". Retrieved 14 April 2012.
- Abraham, Peter (14 April 2012). "One and Done for Che-Hsuan Lin". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- "Red Sox claim Rosario off waivers from Marlins". Retrieved 17 October 2012.
- Eddy, Matt (January 11, 2015). "Minor League Transactions: Dec. 24-Jan. 8". Baseball America.
- "台日交流賽名單公布 中職好手征戰日本福岡". 中華職棒大聯盟全球資訊網 The Official Site of CPBL (in Chinese). October 15, 2018. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
- "「ENEOS侍ジャパンシリーズ2018」チャイニーズ・タイペイ代表選手 出場選手変更について". 野球日本代表 侍ジャパン オフィシャルサイト (in Japanese). November 2, 2018. Retrieved December 5, 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Che-Hsuan Lin.|